Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.8 engine swap - running rough and have an extra plug

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by dkerkman, May 14, 2019 at 10:25 PM.

1. dkerkman

dkerkman New Member

I was helping a kid that lives in my neighborhood swap a 3.8 into his 2001 mustang after he blew his engine. His last engine failed due to low oil because it had a leak and he didn't check the oil. He bought a used engine from a junk yard with 76k miles that was guaranteed to run. After reassembly there is one extra plug I am not sure where it came from since I didn't unhook but its on the drivers side low right next to the next to the o2 sensor (green plug). Picture attached.

We started the car and he was able to drive it home but it did run very rough idle. The check engine light was one and the two codes were p0141 and p0161. There was also a strong rotten egg odor present when running. However before the previous engine blew it was running great so I find it odd that we now have 2 o2 sensor errors and a rough running engine. I am planning on checking plugs / wires / and some obv stuff in the AM but hopping someone could help with explaining the extra plug and toss any suggestions out.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

That's a connector for the automatic transmission. It connects to the main harness near that location.

3. dkerkman

dkerkman New Member

Thank you for your assistance! I was super confused because I thought that was the main harness. I appreciate your help.

4. HumanSVD

HumanSVD Member

Sounds like the fuel system isn't doing it's doing job or your Catayltic converter is clogged. Also possible transmission fluid got into another system and caused that smell, but that's the least likley cause.

Check your fuel and emissions.