Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.8 fuel economy.

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by dgb1940, Mar 7, 2018.

1. dgb1940

dgb1940 Member

Has anyone found a way to improve the fuel economy? I know on a manual it's a bit better but I own an automatic.
    Has anyone swapped out the tranny at changed residents or how did you do it?

2. six gun

six gun Active Member

Personally I found fuel economy gains from both underdrive pulleys and a tune from my handheld engine tuner. Along with general tune-up stuff. Before I started messing with rear end gear ratios I went from about 25mpg highway stock to almost right at 30mpg.

3. dgb1940

dgb1940 Member

Under drive pulleys?

4. six gun

six gun Active Member

5. Aldhissla

Aldhissla New Member

Good plugs and coils, tire pressure and keep it clean. Best way.

6. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Active Member

It's a smaller crank pulley, it slows down the turn rate of all the other pulleys, thus less drag
    on the crank. That frees up the parasitic horse power loss at your water pump, power steering
    pump, A/C compressor. Does not ADD horsepower, just frees up some, less drag on the
    motor so more gets to the wheels.

Winter, always less MPG. Colder air is more dense, more drag on the vehicle. Snow on
    the roads means more road resistance. Colder air = more fuel as well, so you lose
    up to 3MPG in cold weather. I see it on my display on my other car. 33MPG when it
    gets cold, and 36-37 once it's over 40 degrees.

7. Bullet1992

Bullet1992 New Member

I have an 03 convertible and I've noticed that if you keep it out of overdrive unless you are 45mph or faster I can get 23 to 26 mpg around town and 28 30 on interstate. Learn to be light on the throttle when you take off also

8. Arthur

Arthur New Member

Those pulleys are expensive. I can't see spending that much to save a very little on gas not to mention all the work to change them out.

9. Poco

Poco New Member

I changed out all the fluids, engine, tranny and rear end and I could feel a big difference in the performance. My Mustang had been neglected so a tune up with new spark plugs, wires, coil pack and air and fuel filters were replaced. Today I changed out the wheel bearings on all fours. I felt with 120k miles on it , that type of preventative maintenance wouldn't hurt.

10. 99applemustangdudesixauto

99applemustangdudesixauto New Member

At 175,000, six and auto, I did the 100,000 mile tune up again (first one was at 80K) - original coil paks, and original wheel bearings - just replaced one exhaust manifold also for a cold "ticking" noise for a minute or so -

11. 99applemustangdudesixauto

99applemustangdudesixauto New Member

What is the effect of using the under drive pulleys, and slowing down the accessories? Effect on power steering, alternator output, etc?