3.8 in fox body

92stangboy

hey i got a question i have a 1992 stang lx notch with a 2.3 and i was wondering if any has done or knows about dropping in a 3.8 into one from like a thunderbird supercoupe and if so what types of problems u had with clearence and stuff like that thxs

99BlackStangMan

Saleenized Sixer
92stangboy said:
hey i got a question i have a 1992 stang lx notch with a 2.3 and i was wondering if any has done or knows about dropping in a 3.8 into one from like a thunderbird supercoupe and if so what types of problems u had with clearence and stuff like that thxs

Foo what u smokin!? If you want to be unique, put a 4.6 cobra motor in there. If you want to be smart, put a 5.0 or 5.8 in there.

Jarrell

Cammed Fury
I have a 5.0 motor and everthing u need except the tranny that I'd sell u If u want to go that way.

ZStang

94nitemare said:
totally go for the 5.0 or if it was me i would drop a 351 windsor in there :D
351W Heck yea! 360hp N/A. Just imagine you could wake up, brush your teeth and go smoke some SVT-something.:p

02redpony

Know Your Enemy
92stangboy said:
I think you would have a hard time finding a k member to make that setup work but i could be wrong. :)

WindsorStang

SuperSix wrench turner
It can be done. The stock 94-98 engine mounts work on the stock K member and the tranny will fit fine. You will probably need to get your driveshaft shortened due to the engine sitting back so far but thats easy to have done. Using stock v-6 motor mounts sets the engine way back in the engine compartment which makes for better weight transfer in drag racing. You will have to trim the inner wings or corners off the k member with a sawzall to get your headers to fit but this is easy. If you were to set the car up single port you will need fuel lines from a GT so they come up the passenger side of the car. If you go split port you can run the stock 4 cylinder lines as they come up the passenger side. The problem lies in electronics, you will either need a Simple Digital Systems stand alone unit so you can run the motor and keep the factory dash and body harness or you can use a 94-98 or 99 and up engine harness and stock engine and body harness and splice them together. This takes a good bit of knowledge on electrical systems and you may have to find someone to do it for you. But thats about the jist of it. The only hard part is dealing with getting the electrical stuff taken care of, other than that its strait foreward and simple.

Dutch

92stangboy said:
The 3.8L was offered in Fox Mustangs in '83- I think '86. If you find a donor car in a junkyard, it'd probably cost next to nothing for the k-member, etc.