3.8 Photography Thread (56k = No Go)

StealthCobra

Fuel Slut
After reading up on it, don't bother. It's a different sensor with a different image processor and the same old AF system. updated lcd screen, etc... Canon pretty much put a few new things into a 3-4 year old camera. I was really excited at first but feel a tad let down by Canon. D700 is in my future as it's the better camera for a couple hundred more and I won't have to switch systems.

The only real thing the 5DMK2 might top out on is IQ and the detail of the extra megapixels.

Then it's a shitty style. If I want to look at an abstract, I will look at an abstract, not a poorly post processed image that looks horrible. Yes, I'm a snob.

They did more than to toss a couple things into an old camera.

Brand new sensor.
14 bit
New viewfinder
Digic 4
Sensor cleaning
3" High res LCD
Custom modes
Auto light Optimizer/Highlight tone priority
Live View (Silent shooting mode)
Microadjustment
ISO 6400
Faster FPS
New battery technology (30% longer life w/ much more accurate life indicator)
Better weather sealing
HD movie mode

The AF works off the same system however its been tweaked to be more responsive/accurate.

Its going to be a ridiculously amazing camera. Its a major update, the ONLY thing I think they could have done to blow everyones mind is put in pro AF, but its not really necessary. And if you dont wanna shoot 21MP, you can just shoot sRAW @ 10MP.

Personally, I'll be picking up a 5D classic soon enough... but mostly because I simply can't afford the new one while im in school and job-less.

Sanchez

I CAN HEAR GOD
They did more than to toss a couple things into an old camera.

Brand new sensor.
14 bit
New viewfinder
Digic 4
Sensor cleaning
3" High res LCD
Custom modes
Auto light Optimizer/Highlight tone priority
Live View (Silent shooting mode)
Microadjustment
ISO 6400
Faster FPS
New battery technology (30% longer life w/ much more accurate life indicator)
Better weather sealing
HD movie mode

The AF works off the same system however its been tweaked to be more responsive/accurate.

Its going to be a ridiculously amazing camera. Its a major update, the ONLY thing I think they could have done to blow everyones mind is put in pro AF, but its not really necessary. And if you dont wanna shoot 21MP, you can just shoot sRAW @ 10MP.

Personally, I'll be picking up a 5D classic soon enough... but mostly because I simply can't afford the new one while im in school and job-less.

That's native ISO. When you expand it you can go to ISO of 50, 12800, and 24800. Either way Ive seen samples of ISO 6400 and its CLEAN. Im extremely excited over a clean and very usable ISO 6400 coupled with my 50mm f/1.2L. Its the perfect secret ninja in the shadows setup.

StealthCobra

Fuel Slut
That's native ISO. When you expand it you can go to ISO of 50, 12800, and 24800. Either way Ive seen samples of ISO 6400 and its CLEAN. Im extremely excited over a clean and very usable ISO 6400 coupled with my 50mm f/1.2L. Its the perfect secret ninja in the shadows setup.

Exactly. Expanded ISO is no different than pushing underexposed ISO 6400 (or the opposite for ISO50) in post so although I care about it, it doesnt do as much for me.

ISO 6400 coupled with a 50/35/24L would be simply incredible for low light use. In fact, I think it would be entirely unmatched by anything else in the market.

Sanchez

I CAN HEAR GOD
Exactly. Expanded ISO is no different than pushing underexposed ISO 6400 (or the opposite for ISO50) in post so although I care about it, it doesnt do as much for me.

ISO 6400 coupled with a 50/35/24L would be simply incredible for low light use. In fact, I think it would be entirely unmatched by anything else in the market.

Got 'em.

Im really excited for the 5D II you guys have no idea.

tehnick

ʞɔıuɥǝʇ
Got 'em.

Im really excited for the 5D II you guys have no idea.
I'm making the switch. As soon as I have the cash, see ya later Nikon. That is, unless they drop a bomb on the market and it is rumored that they will be making a pretty BIG announcement in February. I won't have the cash for the 5D II until at least this time next year unless I want to be stupid and pull from my 401K, but that's not gonna happen LOL.

Sanchez

I CAN HEAR GOD
I'm making the switch. As soon as I have the cash, see ya later Nikon. That is, unless they drop a bomb on the market and it is rumored that they will be making a pretty BIG announcement in February. I won't have the cash for the 5D II until at least this time next year unless I want to be stupid and pull from my 401K, but that's not gonna happen LOL.

Im giving my 1D Mark IIn the boot to fund this thing. Im also probably going to have to blow a guy or two I dont know :(

investinwaffles

3.8's Other Indian™
Is there any way to make my current lenses into "Macro" lenses (Or significantly decrease the focal distance)? Someone was telling me that they bought a set of extension tubes or something and turned their 50 f/1.8 into an effective macro lens.

Im not looking to spend $ on a dedicated lens because i doubt that i will use it very much.

Sanchez

I CAN HEAR GOD
Is there any way to make my current lenses into "Macro" lenses (Or significantly decrease the focal distance)? Someone was telling me that they bought a set of extension tubes or something and turned their 50 f/1.8 into an effective macro lens.

Im not looking to spend $ on a dedicated lens because i doubt that i will use it very much.

Look up Kenko extension tubes. 12 or 25mm either way it'll do what you want.

Requiem

more bitter by the day
Haven't shot much of anything lately. Been busy doing school assignments. Here was one from an assignment that I liked. Used a 2 hot light set up.

tehnick

ʞɔıuɥǝʇ
it doesn't look like a lot of the garbage people would call hdr. those shots shouldn't need hdr at all. i've gotten beyond hdr. it's all about manual blending of multiple exposures, or using graduated nd filters to balance the sky and foreground.

the compositions are boring and i can find plenty of nit picks, but i think it's more important that you didn't completely ruin the pictures with hdr. it's not really needed as long as you know how to effectively post process an image. if you are only good at moving sliders, then you might want to rethink the hobby or just not even try to process the pictures.

oh, and if you plan on doing hdr or serious photography don't bother with jpg. you can't do **** with it once the camera has processed the image.

tehnick

ʞɔıuɥǝʇ
I shot them in RAW, then converted them to jpeg after map toning
good man. you know, i am sorry if i sounded rude. didn't mean to come off that way, but i will say as someone that did hdr all of the time... don't get drawn into using hdr. it's a dead end, or at least it was for me. i've learned quite a bit since then and am happier with my results without the hdr. i'm still very pleased with some of my hdr work.

i can tell you that i throw away a lot more images than i post on the internet. i try to post only my best, but i try to not be as finicky about my stuff.

My new lens comes tommorow! I cant wait haha

Nothing major - found a steal for the XSi kit lens (same 18-55mm, but with Image Stabilization) and from the pictures I've seen over on POTN I should see a decent improvement.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
My new lens comes tommorow! I cant wait haha

Nothing major - found a steal for the XSi kit lens (same 18-55mm, but with Image Stabilization) and from the pictures I've seen over on POTN I should see a decent improvement.

nice man, you should try to post a few pics, sort of before and after of the same shots:thumbup: