Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.8 singleport

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Seancarr69, May 22, 2017.

how to addpower to a single port 3.8 without splitport

1. port intake

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. emc upgrade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. cut exhaust off

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. premium fuel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. swap efi for carb maybe?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Seancarr69

Seancarr69 New Member

93 ford thunderbird lx 3.8 singleport. looking too add power without spiltport conversion

2. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

Boost, nitrous, ported heads/intakes. Remove the cats. Cam upgrade etc..

just know that even after porting the heads/intakes and getting a cam. You might make a little more power than untouched split port heads/intakes.

Avoid throwing money away by buying headers, throttle body, cai.. those wont increase power on a stock 3.8 singleport.

3. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

A supercoupe swap is always fun on a singleport.

4. Seancarr69

Seancarr69 New Member

i want to keep the stock block im not pulling the motor unless i have to rebuild. and the poor thing has over 300k on it the lifters tick on startup and a little knock on untill oil pressure builds. im gonna put new bearings and rings in im running 10w 40 in it so it doesnt explode. are the o2 sensors before the cat? if not im not cutting the cat off. i know there is a tuner i can plug into the ecm that adjusts shiftpoints ign timing and all the efi and i heard its good for around 30 hp. i don't want to change the cam unless i have too because its a low end torque monster 215 ft pounds at 2400rpm thats almost as low as where a diesel makes it's torque.

5. Seancarr69

Seancarr69 New Member

why wont headers increase power on the 3.8 headers are always better than manifolds. it feels like the poor motor cant breathe but i know it burns oil its got 300k on it. im gonna pull the upper intake off and clean all of the black stuff from the pcv. she runs a little rough anywhere above 3800 rpm (which is where peak power is made) i try to keep it under that so the crank doesnt grenade itself and how much more power will the stock tranny take. the car needs u joints and you have to drop the tank to get to it and you have to drop the exaust to drop the tank. i feel and hear a big clank everytime it shifts. it come from the rear end. the fuel pump somehow pushed that car 300k. havent done head gaskets since 130k miles probably needs those. i like the thunderbird because it has 4 wheel independent suspension and it corners like a champ the car just needs more umph it cant keep up with stock cars now adays and its kind of pathetic. i know you can get alot more out of a 3.8 ive done alot of research.

6. Seancarr69

Seancarr69 New Member

its 140 horse stock how much hp will porting just the intake add

7. Seancarr69

Seancarr69 New Member

what about an intercooler. i just want to make this car faster for the cheapest amount of money

8. ProjectVicky

ProjectVicky Wrench Monkey

Don't we all.
    Proper exhaust systems always free up breathing/scavenging capabilities. You could go for a higher gear ratio in the rear end or higher stall torque converter, it will move quick off the line but has a negative impact on fuel economy and high speeds unless you math the crap out of it. Porting/polishing only helps if you have other supporting mods like a better flowing intake, cam, or forced induction. Trust me, there is no quick recipe for a reliable horsepower monster on the cheap. You can add turbos/superchargers but the engine will detonate if you have high mileage parts being forced to work harder, and if you destroy the engine, you will only be spending more on a new engine.
    It sounds like you are looking for a mild cam and higher rear gears (best bang for your buck). If you are tearing up the engine and porting and polishing, you may be better off with a split port swap (heads, intake, electronics, maybe fuel rail). Horsepower sadly costs money, it just depends on how fast you want to go and how reliable you want to keep the engine.

9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Member

You mean lower gear ratio. it already has 2.73 gears. 2.73 gears are crazy high for our cars. If you swap a 8.8 rear diff from a GT you will get a limited slip and 3.27 gears. Fairly readily available at wrecking yards.

10. SixPackSurprise

SixPackSurprise My lil Turd

the stock 4r70w will take more than you'll ever throw at it with a 3.8 Single Port

You do NOT need to drop gas tank to replace U-Joints
    You do NOT need to drop exhaust to drop tank.

11. pixapusho

pixapusho Member

300K that's pretty impressive. Mine had 250K before I ripped it out