Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.8 Spark plugs, 2002

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by dgb1940, Oct 7, 2017.

1. dgb1940

dgb1940 New Member

I am sure this has been discussed but danged if I can find it. I recently bought a 2002 with 125,000 miles. I am currently getting some things done. Ball joints muffler brakes and such. It sat a lot in the last couple of years. The original owners got elderly.
    Anyway, the plugs still have the factory paint. Wow! I want to replace these but will only put in what will work best.
    What is the best plugs for this for this engine?

2. six gun

six gun Active Member

Personally, I like the NGK V-Power plugs. .052-.056" gap - well, based off my '99 anyway.

Suek likes this.
  3. douglass

douglass Active Member

When I replace mine again, I will use the NGK iridium plugs. If you wanted to go cheaper NKG copper.

4. Suek

Suek Member

I like the NGK platinum V plugs. Used Motorcraft copper before and I just didn't care for them. If you have a Advanced Auto in town check for some coupon codes and get them for cheaper. Order online and pick up. That's great you got the car from someone who's older and the mileage is pretty good too. Have fun with your new car !!

5. dgb1940

dgb1940 New Member

I guess what I would like to know is what is the difference between motorcrart and NGK?

6. Suek

Suek Member

I didn't try the platinum's from Motorcraft so I don't know. All I know is if you buy coppers you change them every year. Platinum and iridium last longer. Sometimes its an experiment to see what you prefer. NGK has different kinds of platinum's if you look, So don't buy the first you see. Some other brands do that too, they have different platinum plugs and same with iridium plugs. So it can get confusing.

7. douglass

douglass Active Member

I called NGK when I was looking into plugs for my GT when I replace the supercharger. From what tech support told me was that copper & iridium where the better performance plugs. Copper plugs will not last nearly as long as the iridium. Platinum plugs will last longer than copper, but do not perform as good as the copper/iridium plugs. Buy your parts from Rockauto, the pricing is much better than your local part stores.

Suek likes this.
  8. Suek

Suek Member

Well maybe I will test out the copper/iridium plugs. I know iridium lasts a while. There many different types like you were saying about the copper/iridium. I did see those on their website . So is that what you have? Probably do. I bought mine at Advanced because i had a 30 percent off coupon. Rock auto is cheap for a few things. Thanks Douglass.

9. douglass

douglass Active Member

When I replace the plugs in my V6 I am going to use the NGK copper plugs, and when I replace the spark plugs in my GT I will use the iridium plugs.