Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

3.8 stroker with a 4.2 crank?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by StangRacing99, Feb 1, 2008.

1. go-fast

go-fast New Member

another down side of long rods is the wrist pin and oil ring relationship

2. myslow2002gt

myslow2002gt New Member

Depends, not always. A long rod setup will be preferred on a high RPM engine.

3. go-fast

go-fast New Member

even if the wrist pin does not cut into the oil ring groove, it still creates a weak spot in the piston.unless it's a max effort motor i usually discourage people

4. myslow2002gt

myslow2002gt New Member

That's why I stated that an off the shelf setup is perfectly fine unless it's a high RPM race engine.

5. go-fast

go-fast New Member

+1

6. GT-EATER

GT-EATER Moderator

I know on Tom Y's piston set up for the long rod , the oil ring has never been an issue , you also need an offset pin to keep the geometry correct and keep the piston from side loading .

Harper likes this.
  7. go-fast

go-fast New Member

yeah there is creative ways around it but usually the comprimise is to move the lands further up on the piston which has it's own set of problems.if the top ring was moved up to make room for the pin the ring land runs hot and in boosted situations has a habit of pinching the top ring.it is not bad to go this route, you should just be aware of the downfalls of this combo.

8. duttybryan

duttybryan 3.8V6 Bahama BuildUp

hey guys i wanna do a split port 4.2 stroker n boost it with a single turbo do u reccomend high or low comp pistons im thinkn if i get high comp pistons i wouldnt have to boost as much to make power.....or get low com pistons to boost it hard...wat are pros an cons of this idea for a build up n wat advice do u have

9. stang2009

stang2009 New Member

when stroking out a 3.8 can you use forged rods from a super coop? how much horse power can the 3.8 rods from a 98 handle?

10. lovethemponys

lovethemponys New Member

ok so i have a question. i plan on puting the TMA TWIN RACE KIT twin t3/t4 57 trim turbos capable of 900 crank hp with vertical core bar and plate twin inlet intercooler, true dual 2.5" exhaust dumps under the hood but i was wondering if i should first build it to a 4.2 and how much does this cost to go to a 4.2 you think?

11. t's03six

t's03six New Member

What rods and piston does supersix use are they 351w sbf rods?

12. MR.BLUESTANG

MR.BLUESTANG And your point?

I'm just gonna reply to keep this post goin. I got a few ideas and direction on where to go cause i just started my splitport m112 setup and lookin for more info on where to get 4.2 parts. Crank, balancer, flywheel, and pistons.

13. T-Stang

T-Stang New Member

I'm also looking in to stroking my 3.8. Can anyone tell me if i need to change the computer or maybe buy a power programmer? if so, any suggestions on the programmer?

14. V6procharged

V6procharged Moderator Staff Member

15. 95 mustang

95 mustang New Member

what if i have a 95 3.8l mustang. will the 97-04 f150 4.2l crank still work?

pirate bman likes this.
  16. Ryan512

Ryan512 New Member

So all I need is the cank shaft and pistons from the 4.2? all the rest of this stuff I can use fom a 3.8 rebuild kit??

17. l_shizzle_l

l_shizzle_l bored and stroked

18. Francis

Francis Seattle, WA>Texas

You may know this but I just want to add that you will need rings and pins as well.

19. hi ofcr cobra

hi ofcr cobra New Member

I'm going to resurrect this thread b/c it's helped me quite a bit. Also, I'd want to double check my research and give back a bit.

Backstory:
    I built an '88 Fox Hatch with a '97 v6 5 speed drive train... it took some slotting, massaging and cutting - but it fit. ;) The V6 fox, dubbed the EcoBooze Stang, is being used as a 24 Hours of Lemons and ChumpCar racecar. The jist of these series is you only have $500 (not counting safety gear) to build and prep a road race car. The races are wheel to wheel and last anywhere from 14hours to a full 24 hours - pit stops, driver changes, refueling, the works.

24hoursoflemons.com
    chumpcar.com

We spun a rod bearing about 6hrs into the last race and I'm now looking at replacing the motor or rebuilding it. The rebuild will obviously take us over the $500 limit, but I feel it's within the spirit of the rules. What's not in the spirit of the rules is building our 3.8 into a 4.2, it's blatant cheating actually - that's the direction I'm going. To help me sleep at night, I'm taking into account that the 4.2 build could be done with parts off a roll-over totalled F150 that could be bought for $200, parts pulled, then scrapped for $150.

After hours of research, here is a list of the parts I've ordered - please let me know if I need anything else or if I screwed up anywhere. Also, these are the best values I found online - some new parts had cheaper, used counterparts, but the minimal cost difference steered me towards new.

New 4.2 Crankshaft - $135 shipped (Ebay)
    Used '97-'98 4.2 F150 Harmonic Balancer - $40 shipped (Car-part.com)
    New '01+ Flywheel - $58 shipped (Rockauto.com)
    New '01+ Pilot Bearing - $7 shipped (Rockauto.com)
    4.2L pistons, pins, rings, bearings & bottom end gasket kit - $? (Machine Shop)

Timing Chain - $34 shipped (Rockauto.com)
    New Head Bolts, both heads - $32 shipped (Rockauto.com)
    Intake Gasket Kit - $37 shipped (Rockauto.com)
    '02 3.8 L & R Head Gaskets - $105 (tousleyford.com)
    Copper Gasket spray - $? (local parts store)

You can find top end gasket kits for around $150 shipped on Ebay, they include intake gaskets, head gaskets and head bolts (among other things) - but I've heard the Ford head gaskets are the way to go. With the notoriety of these motors popping head gaskets, I'm going for quality here.

20. roach419

roach419 New Member

ok, so I got my timing cover off, broken by my friend, ripped the harmonic balancer in 2 with a puller...got my 4.2 crank in. put all the main cap bolts on..then remembered...where does the stud bolt go? out of all the pictures I took, I neglected to take a picture of the crank and bolts...would anyone have a clue as to which main cap it goes onto? also I heard something about heating up the pistons and freezing the pins to get them together... is this true? I'd rather not take them to a machinist...