3.8L V6 water pump torque & engine support

snally68

Couple of questions, again kind of conflicting information in the manual. In the manual where it shows the tightening sequence of the bolts for the water pump it says in the legend tighten to 20-30 Nm(15-22 lb-ft)
Then in the steps it says tighten bolts and stud bolts to 20-30nm and retaining nuts to 8-12nm. So I'm kind of confused on what to follow.

Also have a question about putting the engine back in car. When I pulled it I connected to the block after taking the heads off but I want to have the heads already installed. So can I bolt the chain into where the lower intake bolt holes are or should I look at going into the block on the front and rear instead.

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is my first rebuild and I am learning as I go.

douglass

If you can wait until tonight I can post picture some pictures for the water pump specs like last time. Here are a couple ways Pulled and replaced the motors.

Derfdog15

^I think he has you covered. Also a load leveler makes a heck of a difference in ease of engine pull/replacement

snally68

Thanks for the pictures. And I do have a load leveler and I know what you mean about it making it a lot easier. :)
And if you can post the specs if appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help. It's greatly appreciated.

6 Shooter

The heads have 8mm tapped holes in the front and rear. Use a chain across the back and a second chain across the front. One other pointer, I had to build an extension for the hoist to move the hoist farther back from the front bumper. Otherwise, make sure to use a thick blanket on your front bumper or else repair the heavy scratches.

snally68

Thank you for the info guys. That'll definitely help me get the engine back in. Should be doing that by Friday once I get the engine bay cleaned.

ALRUI

Here's the timing cover/water pump info

I know this is n OLD thread but relevant question nonetheless:) Douglas, what year manual are you showing here? My 2000 Ford shop manual is completely different and I'm curious whats different between the two. THANKS!

ALRUI

OK, well I can tell you the 2000 Ford shop manual SUX! If you have a CA emission Mustang youre in for a bit more pain in this relatively easy tasj of changing your water pump as there is no mention of the EGR plumbing being in your way yet it does ask you to remove you cam position sensor which isnt even in the way. As usual use your own good sense and judgement - not sure what was going on with the technical writers at Ford in 2000 but the shop manual is very disappointing!