Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.0 auto gearing

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by jakelakins, Jun 6, 2014.

1. jakelakins

jakelakins Member

Looking at 4.10's for my 2005 but not knowing if I'm gonna like it at highway speeds. I was wondering if anyone already has them and would like to share their experiences

2. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

410s are amazing .i got them on my 06 auto (stock rear end)and they feel great when merging and getting on the on ramp. I personally do more city driving than highway since getting on the highway wastes more gas especially when going 70mph and on. Id also reccomend going to a shop that specializes on gear differentials to install them. If theyre always buisy thats a good sign. And put in a lsd at the same time unless you want to do a peg leg burnout. A tuner is also key when installing and not that hard if you got a handheld tuner most have the gear ratio change option.Trust me ,getting 410's make a huge difference on 1st. Youl love the higher rpms. There is a cure though. If you keep it under 70mph on the highway your mpg's wont suffer as much. But thats hard to do with these torquey mustangs and if you got a flat foot. Get the 410's. You wont be sorry.

3. jakelakins

jakelakins Member

Thanks man I'm 16 and commuting to high school next year just wanna feel a little something from the light

4. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

Agree if you're doing gears youll kick yourself later if you don't tlok at the same time. I didn't and I'm bumming now. I have 3.73s on my 08 auto with power adder and its still nice. Such a huge difference from stock. I can't imagine how much of a difference 4.10s make.

5. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

Check and see if u don't already have a posi diff...I don't know if they did the swap in rears in 05' or 06'... probably not since u have the 3.8L if I'm not mistaken?? But they did put them n the 06's for sure ;-)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. jakelakins

jakelakins Member

7. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

None of the 3.8 or 4.0 Ford v6s had posi rears

8. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

They didn't put LSD in V6 mustangs until 2011 when they started using the 8.8" rear instead of the 7.5" rear.

I have the 4.10's and ford racing T-Lok. On the highway at 70 mph I'm running 2600 rpms. With a hybrid tune I'm getting about 25 mpg. It's not bad on the highway and when I shut the overdrive off it really pulls when I pass people.

9. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

Correction...I meant 06' for sure...I have had 3 of the s197's...09, 07, and now own a 06...they all have LSD's... I had to have the whole reared rebuilt in the 07'($2000 I put in it at the dealer)...another verification that it has it stock ;-) I can do a burn out right with the gt's...they also come with 3.77's ...throw some water on the tires and make some smoke :):) I'm gonna have to make a YouTube video...lol

10. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

The only V6 with the LSD stock is the 11 and up and that's because they have the 8.8" rear end. Our 05-10's come stock with the 7.5" open diff rear end.

I paid $700 parts and labor to have the T-Lok and gears installed at a dealership.

The highest stock gear ratio in the 05-10 is 3.31. You can't even buy a 3.77 gear for the 7.5" rear.

11. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

:)

12. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

You might want to check on that..they put a T loc in because u asked them to and it's not a T loc so they gladly took your money... I had the whole thing rebuilt to factory... LSD with 3.77's...call the parts dept and ask...hope you kept your old diff... $1000 for the gears...warranty covered half...that's how I know ;-) they don't offer an aftermarket 3.77...only a dealer item... btw

13. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

You're so full of it dude. A brand new ford racing 8.8" rear with 3.73 gears is $1400. You have no idea what you're talking about. No 4.0 mustang came with a LSD rear end. Ever. I have the original diff in my shed, and gears. They aren't worth crap. I'll give them to you if you want them. You need to get your facts in order. You thought the 2005 V6 had the 3.8 motor in it and that you're 4.0 was an aluminum block, both of which have never happened. Are you sure you're even driving a mustang?

14. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

i think he has 3.27 mixed up with 3.77. And t-lock mixed up with one wheel peel. Once the right wheel starts to spin the left will follow as he describes, aka 1 wheel peel. if it is a t lock both start spinning at the same time.

15. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

@ max...Lol..whatever u say buddy ;-) I saw the oil pan...lol...I'll make the YouTube video that's blowing smoke from both tires in ur face not up ur #$&...lol...u must have got a cheap one...lol

16. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

I'm talking about limited slip differential (LSD) one starts and the other kicks in hence limited slip differential;-)

17. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

exactly but that isnt a t-loc per say. the t-loc makes em both spin together.

18. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

He has no idea what he's talking about. The at-Lok is a limited slip differential. How a limited slips works is that both wheels spin together. When you make a turn one of the wheels spins faster than the other. That's where the limited slip comes in. The clutches in the differential allow one wheel to slip so that it doesn't hop and squeal when you make a turn. The open differential is what comes stock on all 2005-2010 V6 4.0 Mustangs and is what gives you the one wheel peel. It literally is only driving one wheel. The other one spins freely. PencilPro is a moron and has no idea what he is talking about. He's probably just trolling on here.

19. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

Thanks for clearing that up I always mess it up cause of the different lingo. That said the feel of a T-loc car vs a one wheel peeler is amazing.