Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.0 rear end differential removing damaged spider gear pin

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Outtacontrol, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Outtacontrol

Outtacontrol New Member

I have chewed up spider gears in my 2005 4.0, the pin holding the spider gears seems to be chewed up so that I can't get it to drop down to remove the gears, and it seems the gears have worn into the top of the pin so that is has an enlarged ring around the pin, Has anybody had this problem or know of a way to remove the pin,,

2. Throne

Throne Active Member

Not sure what your talking about but do you know how to change the seals

3. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

I'm sorry Outtacontrol, I had hoped someone would chime in with some useful knowledge, I'm afraid the only advice I could give is the brute force method, try to drive it out at least part way with a hammer and punch of some kind. Then turn the carrier a bit and then try to yank it out. Don't forget to remove the retaining screw. I'm just not sure i understand how that pin could have enlarged its diameter. I would have though the messed up spider and pinion gears would wear grooves, not ridges.