Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.0L to 4.6L?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by HalfAcidic, Feb 1, 2007.

1. HalfAcidic

HalfAcidic Hoof Beats - Feel it.

Has anyone done the swap to the v8 in the 05+ stangs yet?

2. mikest1989

mikest1989 Lives with Mom and Dad

People have already swapped in 5.0's into the s-197, so im sure someone has done a 4.sux swap.

3. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

They probably went and bought one with the 4.6 already in it.

4. HalfAcidic

:lol: did you miss the topic of thios thread?

5. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

No. But with as new as they are I doubt very many swaps like that have taken place.

6. HalfAcidic

I agree. But im not ready to buy another mustang. I bet it could be done for around 4k?

7. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

Thats 4k you could put down on a new GT and have killer low payments.

Besides are the computers for the new cars really complicated now. As in tuners are having a hard time tuning them.

I dunno if you are looking for a 2v 4.6. I wouldn't do that.

Besides don't you still have a warranty. Man I wish I had a warranty. Those ****ers would be fixing everything! :lol:

8. HalfAcidic

Yesi have a warranty, but those ****ers break more than they fix. and scratch :disgust:

9. mikest1989

mikest1989 Lives with Mom and Dad

Turbo 5.0 swap into your car :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

10. Stangcharger3.8

Stangcharger3.8 New Member

i agree.

a 4.6 swap would not be worth it in my opinion. why not use the 4k and slap a power adder on and go pull the 4.6's like they were standing still? and if you want a v8 so badly, do something unique like the 5.0 or something. cheap engine and very good power.

and if your talking the old 4.6's it is not even close to worth it. you would gain weight up front and not much hp difference at all.

new v6= 210hp
    old 4.6=225hp
    99-04 4.6= 260hp
    05+ 4.6=305hp

not even the new 4.6's are worth it. you could swap in the 4.6 and someone else can use the same money for a power adder on the v6 and pull ya all day. :wtf:

for the money spent on the swap ud have a way slower car than if you used the money on your v6.

id say ok on the 5.0 swap but not the 4.6 unless 4v..the cost on the 5.0 would be much cheap that it would be worth it.

11. HalfAcidic

Im sorry I was under the impression that 4,500$ for vortec supercharger would give me 350HP and then i would need to replace pistons and valves right? I read it on v6power.net

12. HalfAcidic

v8 can make more power with blower than v6 i thought!

13. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

That statement proves you have no idea what you're talking about. The 3v 4.6 has been proven to make basically the same numbers as a 4v 4.6, plus the 3v engine has VVT and a few other nice items that the older Mustang engines don't on top of the fact that the 3v would be the easiest to swap seeing as it is actually found in the SN197 GTs.

Any way you look at it swapping and engine isn't going to be practical it's more about what you want out of the car. You should be able to run a certain amount of boost on the stock 4.0 V6 just like any other stock engine, but how much I'm not sure since I don't know the 4.0l very well. As far as swaps go the easiest would be the 3v 4.6 since it's already in the 05+ GTs. After that would probably be any of the other mod motors (4.6 2v or 4v or 5.4 2v 3v or 4v) then followed by the 5.0. for the 5.0 you'd have to figure out some sort of custom motor mount system to use it.

If you want a V8 car I'd look at just trading up for one with such a new car. If you had an older car it might make more sense to consider the swap. If you don't care what engine you have I'd look into a Procharger kit for your V6.

14. Stangcharger3.8

it proves that i didnt add the 3v 4.6, but doesnt mean i dont know what i am talking about cause i can promise you i do.

i still stand by the 3v 4.6 still not being worth the swap as well as anything i stated previous. my 4v statement was mainly ment for 03/04 4v cobra motors.mainly cause there already forged. sorry if there was confusion.

and since even thinking about the 4v swap i am thinking not even that would be worth it unless something has happened to the engine and it has to either be rebuilt or replaced.

i agree the best optoin in my opinion as well is to go blown on the v6 or trade it in for a gt.

15. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

That is the one sentance I agree with in your entire post but not for your reasoning. To change to a GT will require a lot more than just pull motor --> drop in new motor.

You seriously underestimate the 3v. Show me one other Mustang engine (terminator included) that gains 28rwhp from just a CAI. In fact I can give you real world results. BONE stock 06 gt vs. Vortech 05 V6. NO CONTEST.
    If you want to supercharge a V6 that is dine and you will see some good power but the 3v with good gearing, a CAI and a halfway decent driver will eat that V6's lunch.

Nuff said.

16. Stangcharger3.8

i couldnt disagree more. 28rwhp still wont put you over 300rwhp in that gt. last i saw they have been getting around 310rwhp with a v6 supercharger kit for those models. not to mention they weigh less to begin with.

17. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

The moral of the story is.

Its is easier to buy a mustang with a v8. Which is what sane people do.

There is no point in swapping a stock v8 into a mustang. Unless its an old one that just needs a new motor then hell why not?

If you are gonna swap a v8 into a v6 mustang then put a baddass mother****er in there.

Neither the 3v or 2v 4.6 are anything to quabble about stock for stock. :idea:

18. Stangcharger3.8

i totally agree with your statement. and was more or less what i was saying.

very well put.

BTW off topic.

I very much like your Camaro, it is very nice.

we just recently bought a 1994 z28 and are enjoying the hell out of it. we plan to do heads/cam setup from a performance company that regrinds cam and does work on the heads. and claim about a 100hp gain from them with longtubes as well.

19. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

Most engine aren't and swapping in stock motors is almost always a waste of time.

On the 03 Cobra motor comment, I would never swap one in because I can build a better 4v engine for much less then the cost of an 03/04 Cobra engine and use better parts in the build (ask Rick about how wonderful 03/04 pistons are above 500 rwhp).

On the S/C'd 4.0l vs a bolt on 3v car it really depends on the race. The thing to remember is a 3v GT making the same power as a S/C'd V6 car will have the advantage of a broader powerband simply because of its displacement. Different types of power adders will have different effects on the V6's powerband, but I'm assuming we're talking about centri blowers as that is what 99% of people will put on them.

20. Stangcharger3.8

i guess on the internals it depends on the 03/04 cobra motors. because my friends dad is running 659rwhp and has stock internals and has for a long time now. but i have heard of people saying they dont last past a certain amount. So i have heard equal amount of mixed stories.