Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.0L to 4.6L?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by HalfAcidic, Feb 1, 2007.

1. mikest1989

mikest1989 Lives with Mom and Dad

Turbo 347... Seriously INEXPENSIVE, alot of power, what more could you ask for?

2. drew_shipley

drew_shipley Bullitt #5023

Yeah, usually the pistons have problems. If you do a search Rick (stangdriver5650) posted pics of his. I also would move to an aluminum block to help drop the weight off of the nose of the 03/04s and lets not even talk about the GT500s...

3. Stangcharger3.8

Stangcharger3.8 New Member

my other friend graycen in stillwater went to an aluminum block. he was runnin about 650rwhp as well. he was setting up to go twins turbo.

4. HalfAcidic

HalfAcidic Hoof Beats - Feel it.

OK so, V6 is lighter and more agile with suspension but my cap is realistically around 350 or so hp?

5. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

And you started out your post so well. It is interesting that you would place the 3v in the same place as the 2v seeing as how the 3v is putting down almost the same power as the NA 4v's.

Apparantly here is another customer that has yet to drive one.

6. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

Disagree all you want but I had the Vortech project V6 in my shop for 2 months doing body and paint work and installing a supension and that car FROM vortech only put down 274 at the wheels. I have come across 3 vortech cars and none of them were even close to 310.

An 05+ GT with a JLT and a tune will be over 290 at the wheels. I have yet to see an 05+ SC short of the Carol Shelby CS6 putting down those numbers.

Hello... Yes is this 3.8mustang? Yeah, this is reality. Here is your check. :rolleyes:

7. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

Then toss a procharger on there and boost the piss out of it.

(I can't believe I just recommended someone put a woodchipper on their car)

8. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

If someone was gonna take the 2v/3v and mod the piss out of it then swap it in then I wouldn't say anything.

But why put a stock 2v/3v in a v6 mustang? You can just go ****ing buy one with it already installed. :lol:

If I walked up to someones car and I see a stock 2v/3v in their car and they say it used to be a v6 I'm gonna laugh. All that work and still slow.

If you are gonna bother yourself with a project like that then at least make the car badass.

9. Stangcharger3.8

lol 274rwhp? a 3.8 99-04 will put that down dead stock with just the 11psi procharger kit. and with minor exhaust those 3.8 made it to 300+rwhp. So either something was wrong with those cars, or they didnt have an intercooler or wasnt running 11psi which is safe on a v6.

either way those are lower than average numbers.

99-04 3.8's make anywhere from 270-290rwhp bone stock with just the procharger kit, 11 psi intercooled.

which means the 4.0's with the same kit will make more and do. normally there around 285-305rwhp depending on whether an auto or manual.

usually the 11psi intercooled kit for the v6's will increase your hp by around 65-70% or somethimes more.

10. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

Ah, ok I see what you are saying. Well I guess you have a point although going from a 3.8 or 4.0 to a 3v is hardly "still slow" but I guess that enters into what you would call slow.

We have a car that we worked on that is an 05 with a Procharger and 3.90's that is an auto on 19's and regularly eats pullied terminators rather effortlessly and is still stock block and has been for the past year and a half.

But I see that you would rather build some monster motor if you were to go through all of that and I can respect that.

11. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

Well. A v6 mustang with a stock GT engine swapped it just isn't remarkable at all.

I mean. Really.

12. Stangcharger3.8

i think so as well. it really isnt.

13. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

You call them lower than average numbers and I call them safe numbers. I am not talking about what CAN be done with blown V6's but what you can put out on the kits out of the box. Surely I am not implying that 350 can't be reached safely but let's compare apples to apples.

14. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

Agreed but if the owner just wants some more power and realizes the limitations of the V6 and doesn't want to go all out it would suffice to start off a stronger platform.

15. Stangcharger3.8

yes but to switch to a strong platform would cost more money than it would to put the blower on in the first place is the problem.

for 4k it is either stock 3v 4.6 or blown v6 300+rwhp v.s. 260rwhp. he wouldnt have the extra money at the time to mod the v8 that would intern cost more than the blower. in which the money spent on the v8 parts could have also been spent after the blower on the v6 to make even more power. so both can go more power if wanted.

16. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

Paperwork > busting knuckles

I can see the point of swapping a v8 into a ranger, s10, focus, civic, etc.

Those vehicles aren't made with v8s and there isn't a shitload of them out there selling for beans.

The only 3 v8s should be swapped into a v6 mustang.

1. 03-04 s/c 4.6/5.4
    2. Blown 351C
    3. high revving 308 stroker :drool:

17. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

Ah dude it is going to cost you more than 4k to swap in a 3v. Even if you have the skills and tools to do it yourself.

Like I tell people, anyone that thinks that the NA 4v (Mach 1 or 99-01 cobra's ) or the 3v aint worth it is kidding themselves. An 03/04 cobra with full exhaust, 2.76 pulley, CAI and a full tune is putting down less power than a paxton or procharged 3v.

18. mikest1989

Ummm any turbo or sc 5.0 platform engine.

19. mikest1989

ok, paxton and procharger are aftermarket s/c's, if you wanna talk aftermarket, i dont think the kenne bell and whipple Vs. procharger and paxton war shuld be brought up becasue its not worth arguing about.

20. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

Look at it this way.

Terminators cost how much new?
    05+ would cost about 6k less new. Wouldn't that be the exact difference of adding one of those aftermarket blowers?

What I am mainly getting at is that the 3v has a lot more potential than most here would make it out to be, and for the price of an 03-04 cobra you can get a more solid bodied car to be just as fast if not faster.

(BTW I am not going into the debate as I am a dealer for Vortech, Procharger, Paxton, Whipple and Hellion Turbos)