Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.0L to 4.6L?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by HalfAcidic, Feb 1, 2007.

1. silver6stang02

silver6stang02 Keepin' it real

buy a 460 long block and put it in there.:lol::D :thumbup:

2. Desdenova10

Desdenova10 Well-Known Member

:drool:

3. goldenstang00

goldenstang00 Chebby Guy

As opposed to the short block? :uhh:

4. mcduffer

mcduffer New Member

if youre interested in swapping motors check out karkraft.com
    they have what youre looking for and can give you an idea on what prices will be.

5. SOjEN

SOjEN Pustang

I want to put a 5.0 in my car how should i start?

6. 97mustang3.8l

97mustang3.8l $500 DX Killa

I say you find a v8 to work on while your car is still new and under warranty. (If you must for some reason keep the v6 and not buy a gt.) Dont bother with a 2v of course and a 5.0 would probably be more work than its worth. i would imagine a 3v would be easier than a 4v but im not sure. The 3v's respond extremely well to mods (as previously stated). So start buying parts slowly when you get some extra cash and by the time your cars got some miles on it and your warranty is almost expired throw the built v8 in.

7. SchwaebzGT

SchwaebzGT What?

im gonna hijack this a lil bit, but.....

was the 5.0 better than the 2V 4.6?

8. 97mustang3.8l

97mustang3.8l $500 DX Killa

hp wise the Non PI 2v's were around 215 the 5.0s around 205

however the 5.0 responds much better to mods, has a cheaper and broader range of aftermarket parts.

the pi 4.6s were around 245 i believe someone will correct me if im wrong.

9. domin8

domin8 Lazy Unicorn

didnt read the other posts, but greg at RET in Socal put a GT500 motor in a v6 body, total sleeper :)

10. 01SVTSNAKEBITE

01SVTSNAKEBITE CompTurbo

03/04 swap with a ported/pullied blower , bigger injectors,maf,fuel pumps etc etc, these parts can be found everywhere on svtforums pretty reasonably. and if u wanna be a lil "different" , put a stalled 4r70(mach 1 trans) (tho i hear 4r75's are heavy duty ?) thats what id do, but....im just a nooB

11. Aerosi665

Aerosi665 Beware of Imitators!

245rwhp, 260hp crank from the factory for the PI 4.6. The 5.0's are "cheaper" to mod because even though they start with way less power, the simplicity of the motor makes them cheap as hell to go real quick. However F/I on pretty much any V8 will show you fantastic numbers real fast.

12. Rygen

Rygen New Member

I'm currently working on a 5.4 3v swap into my car after popping another 4.0 hunting for deep 10's. Flapjack is also doing a 5.4 3V and buckman is doing a GT500 5.4 4V into his.

13. Un Domini

Un Domini New Member

by the time you spent the money to get a 4.6 outta the new GTs to swap it and installation etc, you're better off just getting a damn GT. the body kit on 'em is worth it alone.

14. BISKIT

BISKIT New Member

Lol.

You finally giving up on the ol' 4.0, eh? :lol:

God knows you've been through the paces.

15. kcoon24

kcoon24 Well-Known Member

i smell spam....

16. ears

ears New Member

hay yall, im new to the site not new to the mustang world but new to the site. i wanted to get on and give some pointers.

first, the v6 to v8 swap in general would be hard. not impossible but hard. there would be alot of things that would have to be modified to make it work! i think that the only realy thing that makes it worth it is if you really want to keep the car you have,,, and take that personal pride in the work that you've done yourself.

however. i did read on here where people were comparing the v6 to a 4v. now i can say this only because i own all three. a 98 cobra, a 95 gt (302 of course), and a 2010 v6. yall were saying with a blower you could beat on 4v cars all day long. now this just aint true at all! with a blower,,,, on a v6 like others have posted sure you would get very close to 300, maybe even a bit over. however, with that kind of power out of a v6, youd ramatically cut the life span of your car. now with the 4v, sure from the factory they only make 300 hp, maybe a tad more on a good day, but first of all, its alot more sustainable. and second of all, it would make a very stable platform for more power mods! this makes the v8 option a far superior one! you could do the 302, and in an s197 body that would be bad ass to no end! but those motors dont make as much power as youd want for your car, theyre torque monsters, but dont pull out that much power! however how many people do you know with a 302 in an s197! now that would be a combo to remember!

17. ears

ears New Member

but the 4v, maybe from a earlier cobra. (which takes much better to boost than the 0304 cobras, beleive it or not!) now that would be just as cool! i cant say that i know anyone with that set up either! and with just a few well thought out mods, you can easily unleash the power of the 4v motor! now the newer 0304 cobra motors are very nice, and hold up well, but dont take as well to boost, even though they come from the factory boosted. due to their single runner head design! so you could do alot with them, and their strongest point is their block. so it would last a good long while. but to get it all to work in the originally v6 body,,, now that i dont know. i wish i could say ive seen it done, but i havent! but to say that the v6 is a better idea is just ludacris! in this scenario, the v6 will alwayse be inferior to the v8, you could boost the hell out of it, but it wont last you, you may be able to keep up with stock gt's,,,, but how many gts do you know that are stock!

it would take alot of time and a bit more money, but i would say that theres no way in a million years that when it is all said and done that you would be dissapointed if you managed to succeed in swaping a 4v motor into that car! i love my 4v, i used to think that they were the pits when i first bought a mustang several years agoe, but after owning one and learning all the great things that these motors can do,,,,,, i would say that its one of my favorite motors that ford has produced! along side their 427 sohc of course!!! now that is just the sexiest piece of machinery!!!!!mmmmmmmmmmmm

18. ears

ears New Member

sorry for the long rant,,,, but i had to lay it down!! lololololol!! anyway,,,, ill be around! not here to start drama,, just givin my own experience

19. Aaron06v6

Aaron06v6 New Member

i am new to this site and i dont no to much bout cars and was contimplating this swap but sounds not worth it caz i wanted to put a procharger on my 4.0 but was told i would blow my engine so idk what to do any help on power adders would be awesome thanks

20. SchwaebzGT

SchwaebzGT What?