Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.10's for my 2006 v6 auto

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by terlingua4.0, May 9, 2014.

1. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

I ordered some 410s for my 2006 pony package. And i was wondering if anybody has any suggestions of how to go about looking for a shop and what to expect? Gains? Pros cons? Tips? Any beneficial advise would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

2. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

Oh, also. Does my car have any gt upragdes at the rear end already? Since its a "pony package" ? Thanks

3. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

pony package means very little in terms or performance, you still have an open differential in the rear so you probably should look into getting a limited slip diff to install at the same time, it's literally no extra work for the shop and you'll hate yourself if you don't. Okay so maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but seriously, it is very much recommended that you do gears and diff at the same time. 4.10s should feel amazing and cut quarter mile times by a few tenths. Downside is that on the highway you'll cruise at a higher rpm than you used to. Roughly 500 rpm higher, which will lower your gas mileage.

4. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

The pony package is primarily cosmetic, and in 2006 included 17" bullitt wheels.

When picking a shop to do work on your car ask your friends where they had good or bad experiences. I recommend that pick one that has steady business.

It would be best if you show up with both the gears and an installation kit. I recommend either the Ford racing kit or Ratech kit. A tune will be needed to at least correct the speedometer, and there are other benefits.

5. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I currently have a diablosport tuner. Would i have to tune it with the 410's installed? Also, what if i dont put in a lsd?

6. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

If you don't put an LSD in it you'll have less traction on whenever you're trying to put the power down, and you can do a peg leg burn out.

I'm not personally familiar with DiabloSport, but it should allow you to correct the speedo. If your car is an automatic, you'd get a lot more benefit if a pro altered the some other things to account for the difference in how the engine is loaded.

7. getsidewayzdrift

getsidewayzdrift one- wheel peelin!

you should def put lsd in at the same time trust me, one wheel peelin sucks lol and I would have the shift points changed with the tune as well since its an automatic

8. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

Actually that rearend is the same as the old fox body .gt's which came with with a posi diff...jus change the gears and add a girdle...u should know that your trans is also upgraded...u might not like the way it will shift so u might have to play with shift parameters...also ur gonna want to upgrade the wheel combination because u will burn the stock ones off...go to a wider soft compound tire...a lot to think about...for a v6 it has crazy torque...I had an 07, 09, and I now own an 06...I had to replace the whole reared in my 06 from the power these deliver stock :):):)

9. Markstang

Markstang Polishing my banhammer Staff Member

It's not quite the same as the old fox rears. longer axle tubes/axles and disc brakes vs drums, but the internals will swap between the two so that's a potential source for a cheaper LSD.

10. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

I promise u it has a LSD in it ;-)...I can do a 2 wheel burnout in my pony...both wheels spun in all 3 cars I owned ;-) jus make sure u put the girdle on or it will reach an early demise ;-) the bearing caps constantly spread when putting a lot of torque to the pinion...the girdle will stop that ;-)

11. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

They have a different rear from the 04' and down models...the actual difference, coming from the ford guys, is the suspension hook up...but I never tried to swap axles or brakes so what really matters I guess is the internals in this case anyways...lol...right Markstang? ;-)

12. getsidewayzdrift

getsidewayzdrift one- wheel peelin!

I wish mine came with a factory lsd :eek:

13. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

You'll need to get an LSD, the 05-10 V6 never came with them stock. I have 4.10's and a Diablosport Trinity tuner. All you have to do is adjust the axle ratio and you're speedo will be good. And definitely get some good tires, It took me a couple months to ruin my stock tires.

14. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

Id have to agree with maxwell murder. Not only cus ur a rancid fan. :) but because its true. I got my 410s installed and all i had to do was change the gear ratio on my diablosport predator. I will need some new tires though. Traction kinda sucks.. Oh, .. Also i burnout just fine. No peg leg!!! Lol

15. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

Do you all have the 05' or 06' and up? I think the 05' came with a 3.8L without LSD...the 4.0L had too much power to not have a LSD so that's when they started putting them in :):)

16. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

05-10 is a 4.0 with the 7.5" rear. No LSD.

17. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

I'm not sure of 05' as I said but You can argue that all u want but don't b hatin' on the owner of one...lol ;-)

18. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

The 4.0 is the redheaded step child V6 BTW. Much less aftermarket support from what I understand vs the 3.8/3.9 and 3.7

19. maxwellmurder

maxwellmurder Member

There is a ton of parts for the 4.0. I've got a ton of parts on my 2010. PenisPro is a troll and has no idea what he's talking about.

20. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

I meant more in terms of junkyard engine swaps and what not, for instance the 4.2/4.3 type build for the 3.8 isnt really something that has a counterpart for the 4.0 atleast not that I know of;