4.2 and split port swap

Bartikus

Ok I wanted to start a build thread. The 3.8 in my 1996 mustang spun a bearing so it was time to upgrade the engine. Went to the junkyard and pulled a 4.2 out of a 2003 f150. I grabbed the fuel rail out of that truck. We then went and grabbed the intake parts from a 2000 mustang. The plan is to rebuild the motor, throw in a cam and get it in the car. I'm going to get a tuner. I'll eventually get long tube headers and dual exhaust and when I find one for the right price I'll throw in an 8.8 out of a GT. I'm hopi g to have it ruurunn again before the end of May.
IMG_20180415_192755664_HDR.jpg IMG_20180415_224116700.jpg IMG_20180415_224123324.jpg IMG_20180415_224129084.jpg IMG_20180414_094748025_HDR.jpg IMG_20180415_224134085.jpg IMG_20180414_160040_026.jpg

Bartikus

why the switch to the 4.2?
Because I can, the 3.8 spun a bearing and I have been wanting to do the swap for a while. The spun bearing gave me excuse to get the 4.2 I checked the specs on the crank tonight. Every thing is within factory specs. The crank is clean with no groves in the bearing surfaces. I'm ordering a rebuild kit on Monday whew I get paid.

Bartikus

Got the rebuild kit last Friday. Working on cleaning up the block and all the parts, I am hoping to start reassembling the motor later this week. I forgot to take some pictures, I'll get some tonight.

Bartikus

Been working on putting the motor together. I went to a buddies house so I could swap the pistons out. I needed to use his shop press. The crank is installed in the motor and the pistons will be tomorrow. Ordered my new cam today. I am hopeful that it will be going into the car in a couple of weeks.
IMG_20180623_235952881.jpg

Bartikus

IMG_20180625_211610903.jpg IMG_20180625_230515418.jpg IMG_20180625_230533584.jpg
Ok here are a couple of pics from tonight. I got my new comp cam today so I had to install it. You can see it has a little more duration and lift over the factory cam. I also installed the balance shaft and installed the rings on the pistons. I'll be dropping those in the motor tomorrow.

Bartikus

James Carr

sleep-er noun = fusing speed with secrecy
if i can ask where did this cam move your horse power inside of the rpm range of the cam? more down low? or more up high? side note glad you spoke to them on the phone and didn't just order the biggest choppiest cam you could find thanks for keeping us up to date can't wait to see more pics.

Bartikus

if i can ask where did this cam move your horse power inside of the rpm range of the cam? more down low? or more up high? side note glad you spoke to them on the phone and didn't just order the biggest choppiest cam you could find thanks for keeping us up to date can't wait to see more pics.
The rpm range of the cam is 1000 to 5000. I didn't want a choppy cam, this is my daily driver. The first time I called them they recommended a little hotter cam than I bought. I started thinking about it and didn't want to replace the springs. The other cam had an rpm range of 1500 to 5800. Since this is my daily driver I was never going to be in those upper rmp ranges. So I called comp back and talked to someone who was a little more knowledgeable and agreed with me that the mild cam I bought was the one to go with. Choppy cams are fun but make a poor driving choice for a daily car.

James Carr

sleep-er noun = fusing speed with secrecy
we call them Burger king cams great for idling through the local BK on fri night lol your plan sounds well thought out can't wait to see the out come

Bartikus

we call them Burger king cams great for idling through the local BK on fri night lol your plan sounds well thought out can't wait to see the out come
Well thanks, I have done a lot of research and reading about what other people have done before I jumped into this. It has been well thought out. I'm getting really excited, I should be ready to drop the engine in the car around July 6th and 7th.

Bartikus

So spent a couple hours on the car tonight. Threw in the leather back seat I picked up at the junk yard on the 4th of July and then installed all of the pistons. Stayed up way too late it's going to hurt in the morning. I only paid $20 fo the seat. I did find out if you install a rear seat out if i 2003 into a 1996 you need to use the metal seat back from the 96 they are slightly different.IMG_20180706_000003924.jpg