Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.2 and split port swap

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by Bartikus, Apr 24, 2018.

1. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member

Man that’s some great progress! I feel like I’m gonna move at a snails pace compared to you lol. Yeah the clutch can be aggravating to figure out at 1st but sounds like u got it.

2. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

Well the sad thing is I put a clutch in the car last November. I felt like an idiot when I realized what I did. I was concerned I put the clutch in backwards and that's why it felt so lite. I feel I've taken a really long time putting the car back together. It spun the bearing back in March. So I'm going on 5 months down.

3. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member

Nah your doing good I done the same thing when I put my 1st clutch in by myself. I have always been a do it yourselfer kinda guy, so in my teen years my 1st mustang was a 88 GT I put the clutch in backwards and have a friend that’s a master ford mechanic told me and had to back up and punt and take everything back out and do it all over, but that’s what it’s all about learning in my opinion.

4. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

I put the clutch in backwards on an 81 Chevy truck I did a manual trans conversion on. So now every time I install a clutch I'm always worried I put it in the right way.

5. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

I got quite a bit done on the car tonight. Didn't get any pictures. I got the syncronizer installed, built brackets for the fuel rail, and almost finished the engine harness. I'll get some more pictures tomorrow when I get more installed.

James Carr likes this.
  6. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member

Hah yea I learned my lesson after that one myself

7. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member

Good deal man. Getting closer and closer. Look forward to seeing the pics. I messed with my car and the motor I’m tearing down on the stand some more over the weekend but had to go into work early today so I will post some more also when I get up and around.

James Carr likes this.
  8. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

I didn't have s whole lot of time to work on the car tonight. I needed to do brakes and an oil change on the wife's car. So I installed the valve covers so I can at least say I did something on it. IMG_20180808_001253687.jpg

Spdricer and James Carr like this.
  9. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member

Hey at least you done something though, I’m going to try to get up early again and mess with my car too before work tomorrow night.

James Carr likes this.
  10. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

Got to spend a couple hours on the car tonight. Installed the water pump, thermostat, water tubes, fuel line, and the wiring harness. I set the intake on the engine because I could. The wiring harness is going g to need a couple of new plugs I did not notice were broken. I also need to extend a couple of plugs wiring. This will take a trip to the junkyard to get me the parts I need. I won't be able to work on the car again until next Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm getting so close I can taste it.
    IMG_20180808_230113362.jpg IMG_20180808_230106297.jpg IMG_20180808_230100099.jpg IMG_20180808_225200540.jpg

89FoxSC4.3 likes this.
  11. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member

Looking good, it’s always the little Knick knack stuff that gets you on swaps.

12. Poncho Villa

Poncho Villa Member

This is progressing nicely! When you pulled the engine, did you leave the transmission in place or did you pull the engine and transmission together? If you left the transmission in place, was it a painful exercise to get the engine reinstalled and bolted to the transmission while in the car?

13. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

I left the transmission in the car. All I did was put a jack under the bell housing and jack it up until it can't go any higher. Then the motor goes in with out the upper intake, valve covers, exhaust, accessories, ect. It slid right in only took me about 10 minutes to stab the motor.

Poncho Villa likes this.
  14. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

Update from last night. We got back from our trip to Tahoe Tuesday night around 9:30 pm. I was pretty tired from driving all day so I didn't have a chance to work on the car. Wednesday night we went to a baseball game and ended up home around 11:00 pm so I didn't work on the car. So last night when I got home from work I proceeded to finish my wiring harness (I still need a few new connectors, they have broken tabs), installed the upper intake, and fiddled around with misc things that attach to the intake. I will need to get different sparkplug wires tonight. The single port wires will not work. I'm hopeful that I can get the car started tonight or tomorrow morning.
    IMG_20180816_231907639.jpg IMG_20180816_231921052.jpg IMG_20180816_231928509.jpg

89FoxSC4.3 and James Carr like this.
  15. James Carr

James Carr sleep-er noun = fusing speed with secrecy

just out of curiosity or maybe I missed it in a previous post why no Windstar intake?

16. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

I wanted to just do a straight forward swap with factory mustang parts to start with. It may happen down the line. I haven't decided yet if that's what I want to do or not. I kinda like the idea of throwing on a procharger down the line.

James Carr likes this.
  17. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

Got a bunch of stuff reinstalled last night. I am running to the junkyard this morning to grab an air idle control motor and some misc little parts. I will be starting her today!
    IMG_20180818_003552108.jpg

James Carr likes this.
  18. 89FoxSC4.3

89FoxSC4.3 Member

Dang man that’s great. I will be look forward to a video. You’ve been rolling on the project here lately. Good luck on the start up.

James Carr likes this.
  19. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

20. Bartikus

Bartikus Active Member

I got it running over the weekend! It was kinda a pain. Cylinders 2 and 3 were not firing and I knew I had spark. So I figured it must be the injectors. I was right. Went to the junkyard Sunday morning and grab a set out of a 2004 freestar with a 4.2 because all the trucks and vans had the earlier style injector. I was having problems with the air idle control motor. I pick up one of those at the junkyard on Saturday morning. It was missing a spring so I'll pulled it out of the broken one I had. So last night I got the car to a point it would start and then die. It ended up being low on gas. Once I put a few gallons in it, it started to run just fine. I think I have a problem with the EGR set up on it. It threw an EGR code last night. So I might need to go get a new valve. I was pretty excited to have it running last night.

Poncho Villa and James Carr like this.