4.2 and split port swap

Bartikus

Quick update, I have driven the car maybe 150 miles and it has a few issues I still need to work out. I have it running fairly well at idle when cold. When it warms up it misses fairly bad and keeps throwing a P0175 code. It had also thrown a P0172 and a P0304. I believe I have narrowed it down to the injector on cylinder 2. It doesn't seem to be getting any fuel. I checked the injector last night with my ohm meter and it is good. I'm borrowing my brothers diod set tonight and seeing if I have signal on that plug or not. Once I figure this problem out I believe it will be running very nicely.

James Carr

sleep-er noun = fusing speed with secrecy
take a long screwdriver while the engine is running place it on the top of the injector put it to your ear you should be able to hear the rhythmic clicking of the injector firing. If it sounds odd or no clicking.....then you know

Bartikus

take a long screwdriver while the engine is running place it on the top of the injector put it to your ear you should be able to hear the rhythmic clicking of the injector firing. If it sounds odd or no clicking.....then you know
Yep I have done that also. Thanks for the tip. I could only imagine how frustrating this swap could be for someone who has limited experience working on cars. Yeah 15 years ago I never would have attempted to perform this type of work.

Bartikus

I plan on making a couple of videos on the car. One of them is going to go over everything I did to install the split port, with a little about the 4.2. I'll also make a pull video. I drove it to work this morning and it drove great. The one problem it has is it keeps throwing a P0172 and a p0175 code when the motor is cold. I'll have to dig into that more.

James Carr

sleep-er noun = fusing speed with secrecy
I plan on making a couple of videos on the car. One of them is going to go over everything I did to install the split port, with a little about the 4.2. I'll also make a pull video. I drove it to work this morning and it drove great. The one problem it has is it keeps throwing a P0172 and a p0175 code when the motor is cold. I'll have to dig into that more.
HMMMMM.... to rich bank1?bank2? or....

Bartikus

I've been thinking about the problem with the codes ony car all day. Once the car is warm it doesn't throw the code. I wonder if I have a bad pressure regulator.

Bartikus

I just skimmed thru your build thread, did you ever get a tune for this? Might be why its throwing rich codes.
No I haven't got a tune for it yet, that has been in the back of my mind what is causing the problem. I've worked through a lot of the other issues that it has had. So I'll figure this out also.

Bartikus

I have been doing some research, and what I think I have found is the freestar injectors I installed are 21#. The 2003 f150 4.2 came with 19# injectors. The 1996 single port came with 14# injectors. I think I'll switch back to the 19# ones for now to see if I can get the car through emissions. I need to buy a tune but I am low on funds right now. I've thrown a lot of money getting the car running.

Bartikus

I talked to SCT and Bama and Bama can build me a tune with the mods I've done. SCT told me they couldn't help me at all and I needed to have custom tuning done. So I think I'm buying a Bama tuner from American Muscle. Now I just got to get $400 together for it.

I have been doing some research, and what I think I have found is the freestar injectors I installed are 21#. The 2003 f150 4.2 came with 19# injectors. The 1996 single port came with 14# injectors. I think I'll switch back to the 19# ones for now to see if I can get the car through emissions. I need to buy a tune but I am low on funds right now. I've thrown a lot of money getting the car running.
Hopefully the 19’s will be enough to get you to pass man. Really cool you got it going though.

fasterthanyou

Yeah man, I think the ecm only corrects for up to 8% variation in air/fuel ratios before it throws a lean or rich code. I believe it is capable of correcting up to 28% variation but obviously will still throw a code.

If you put the stock single port injectors back in, it should eliminate the codes.

Bartikus

Hopefully the 19’s will be enough to get you to pass man. Really cool you got it going though.
Yeah it runs really well, I am pretty sure it is just barely out of the range that computer thinks is ok for running to rich. If I'm running down the freeway at higher RPM's it will not come on. I still could have a problem with the regulator so I'm digging into that a little this weekend.