4.2 swap from van

Thestigmach1

Thestigmach1
My 3.8 locked up a few weeks ago with 190k miles on it. I don't know the reason for locking up but figure for the time and money to rebuild that motor I'd be further ahead to replace with less miles. I'd like to put a 4.2 in it, no replacement for displacement. I understand this has been done several times with a truck motor. What about a 4.2 from a van? I can find those with low miles all day. Truck motor not so much. I know ill have to swap the intake and fuel setup over but is there any real difference in block and heads between them?

Sam36

Goodness! How could you lock up one of these motors and not know the cause? Out of water? Out of oil?

Anyway, I don't know off of the top of my head, but when looking for identical parts, I usually head over to www.rockauto.com In this instance, the cylinder heads for the 4.2 Ford Freestar are the same part number as the cylinder heads of the 1996-2004 3.8 mustang.

fasterthanyou

I believe that the FWD blocks have different motor mount bosses that do not line up with RWD motor mounts. Aside from that I'm not sure what else is different.

I know for certain cylinder heads are interchangeable as I have ran FWD heads on my RWD block.

fasterthanyou

Also the FWD motors use stamped steel oil pans as opposed to cast aluminum. Which might mean the oil pickup tube is different.

Thestigmach1

Thestigmach1
Goodness! How could you lock up one of these motors and not know the cause? Out of water? Out of oil?

Anyway, I don't know off of the top of my head, but when looking for identical parts, I usually head over to www.rockauto.com In this instance, the cylinder heads for the 4.2 Ford Freestar are the same part number as the cylinder heads of the 1996-2004 3.8 mustang.
Had oil had water wasn't hot had oil pressure. It gave no reason to lock up just did. Can anyone else confirm on the front mount pads being different?