Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.2L crank wont accept aftermarket torque converter?

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Derfdog15, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

So as some of you may know I have a 4.3 stroker going into my car. Ive been working on getting it in the car, off and on, for a long time. Car will finally be with me soon, and I'm trying to find out the main issue that we had last time my dad and I tried to drop the 4.3 in.

So the stock torque converter will bolt up fine, to both the stock 3.8L with stock 4R70W. No surprise there. The stock converter and trans also bolt up perfectly to the 4.3L (4.2L crank from an F150).

However, the PI 9.5" triple disk, with lockup, will NOT bolt up properly to the 4.3L. The snout won't mate all the way to the crankshaft (crankshaft wont accept it all the way). However, the 3.8 (OEM engine), the PI converter mates just fine.

I have no ideas on what to do here, other than trying to shim it, but to do that I need to put ~3 washers between the converter and the bellhousing/flex plate for it to mate up. That doesn't seem right. The F150s came with a 4R70W, though a slightly different ratio 4R70W, but I don't think that should be an issue, since the stock converter works fine in both.

Any ideas from anyone? If no has any ideas, I'll try and talk to PI monday, and Super Six Motorsports as well, since they built the 4.2.

Thanks guys!

2. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

Welp, This may be resolved. I can't confirm until I actually do the work (~1 month from now). But it looks like they may have left the pilot bearing in the engine when I got it. That is what is causing the clearance issue. At least I believe that is the case. So I'll do a pilot bearing removal and be good to go.

3. slithermgs

slithermgs Member

Let us know how it works out, I'm interested in doing and would like to learn as much as I can before I start