Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4.2L Stroker Build

Discussion in 'Personal Projects and Builds' started by mythorath, Oct 21, 2017.

1. mythorath

mythorath Member

No sound when engine is cold, only shows up when engine has fully warmed up.

I think I'm going to try to pull the oil pan and check the rod bearings to see if anything is going on down there. (I think a bearing is being / has been destroyed)

2. mythorath

mythorath Member

Well I spun a rod bearing.

20181101_183106.jpg

I'm thinking this was caused by a blocked oil passage or something similar. All of the other rod, and main, bearings looked fine and dandy. Could also have been miss-assembly, this was my first engine build after all.

Very slight scoring on the crankshaft. Going to take it into the shop when I get some time and money to see if the crank and rod are salvageable.

Looks like the car is sitting for a few more months.

3. fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou Active Member

That sucks!!!! I'm sorry to hear that... interested to find out what caused it.

4. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

IMHO, spun bearings come from not enough oil in the gap between the bearing and the crank journal. Can be caused by bearing wear, improper torque
    on the rods, or the bearing being too tight upon initial installation due to improper bearing size vs the size of the crank journal at that location. Generally, the rod bearing clearance should be about 0.0015 of an inch which allows enough space for oil to lubricate. Another possibility is inadequate assembly lube in the bearing when the motor was put together OR, NOT priming the motor with oil prior to first crankup.

Another possibility is long term wear of 100,000+ miles and not changing oil frequently enough.