Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5 lug conversion for an 88 LX

Discussion in 'Mustang Talk' started by IggyBiggy, Apr 2, 2016.

1. IggyBiggy

IggyBiggy Q('.' Q)

Has anyone here converted their Fox to a 5 lug set up? I don't want to use Mrk Vii setup or go SVO. Is it simply just taking spindles from a 94, brake lines, cobra calipers & rotors, brackets for the front? Do I need master cylinder and booster?

How do I do the rear? Complete rear end swap? Any links appreciated.

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Use 94-04 spindles and hubs up front. Idk if you need different outer tie rods.

Previously there was a Ford Racing kit for the rear conversion. Its mostly about the axles. You may want to do the 11.65" rear brakes while you're at it.

IggyBiggy likes this.
  3. IggyBiggy

IggyBiggy Q('.' Q)

4. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Yep. Thats part of it. Note that the rear caliper brackets are not in that kit.

The base and cobra rear caliper brackets are nearly identical. The inside width is slightly larger for the cobra brackets. Iirc the cobra bracket is also bridged on the open side, whereas the base variant might not be.

I know of one person who ground the base brackets to fit. I chose to get a set of brackets via rockauto

5. oldfox

oldfox Member

I switched my 90 fox over to 5 lug using all parts of a 1994 V-6
    Can't remember what I did for a booster --think I used 93 cobra and the master cylinder off the 94
    I used all the emergency brake stuff off of the 94 also ( need to bolt or spot weld one small bracket on the
    floor board. striped both rear end down pulled the axles and backing plate and just switched everything.
    you need an adapter for the right front brake can't remember the number napa has it
    this car was still a 4 cylinder my daily driver when this was taken
    [​IMG]

6. oldfox

oldfox Member

oops I lied to you I used the hole rear end out of the 94 housing and all
    it already had 355s in it I just replaced all the bearings for good measure. (sorry about that

I have switched to many to keep track LOL