Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

50mph+ vibration. 2002 3.8 auto

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by dgb1940, Dec 18, 2017.

1. dgb1940

dgb1940 Member

A couple months ago I had the pinion seal replaced. And some other stuff done. Muffler. Front brakes. Tie rod ends. Plugs. And tires.
    Just in the past couple weeks my stang wants to vibrate real hard at over 50. I checked my wheels because it feels like I have in balanced tires. Like there was mud in them. (Had that issue with other cars) But those are clear.. Any ideas?

2. Serpent

Serpent Active Member

if it didn't start for some time after the replaced parts,I would start with the balance of the tires. what are the age of the tires and where is the vibration...in the steering wheel or in the seat.

3. dgb1940

dgb1940 Member

Problem was solved. It was the u-joints.

4. Rocksinger

Rocksinger New Member

I'm having the same problem after 118k miles
    Changed the trans fluid & filter...No metal shavings or bits in the old fluid...thank god!
    Shifting is smoother but the vibration is still there.
    Taking it in tomorrow to put up on the lift
    To get a good look at everything underneath.
    Hope it's not too damn expensive!
    I'll settle for the u joints..Which was on my list of possible problems.

Trying to get it diagnosed and fixed before a Vegas trip from Southern Calif..And driving through 110° to 120° desert heat.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    A1s likes this.
  5. A1s

A1s New Member

Having the same issue with my 2000 v6. about 155k miles. Tried all of the above R&R's.
    Vibration starts at around 2000 RPM, 70 MPH.
    Did you fix your's Rocksinger?

6. Rocksinger

Rocksinger New Member

Unfortunately the morning I was on my way to Goodyear auto....Another vehicle a large work truck made an illegal left turn in front of me in an intersection ...And my Mustang on the impact sustained major damage and I was injured and my Mustang was declared a total loss.

So I'm somewhat still in shock over what happened and having my Mustang destroyed.....So I'm back looking for another white paint with a white canvas convertible top and white or creme interior in very good or great shape.

I love the 40th Anniversary MUSTANG and finding that color scheme is going to be difficult.
    I called Ford motor corp.in Michigan and they made just a limited number of those color matches.

That was my 40th below.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  7. Rocksinger

Rocksinger New Member

8. Serpent

Serpent Active Member

I hope you weren't injured too badly. so sorry to hear this about you and your car. Hope you are better soon and can find a suitable replacement. be careful about what you post on sites and social media about your injuries. the insurance companies monitor and use this information. often you don't know the extent of the injury for some time, even up to months later.