94/95 to 96-98 Taillight Conversion

Kuplex

Retired Admin
94/95 TO 96-98 MUSTANG TAILLIGHT CONVERSION

************* NEWS ****************
10-28-2005
I'm working on a new Electronics Tech and included in it will be the following taillight conversions:

- (99-04) Cobra taillights
- (94-95) 96-98 style swap
- (96-98) 94-95 style swap

This conversion will save you money, because instead of having to buy the "adaptors" from Mr. BodyKit ($50) or getting the 96-98 taillight harnesses ($50 each new), two simple sockets (~$10 for both) and 10 minutes will have you up and going.

MATERIALS
(2) 96-98 Mustang Taillight Assemblies
(2) Taillamp Sockets (Motormite a.k.a. "HELP!", found in most auto parts stores). You can use #85849 (Ford version) or #85881 (GM version). I recommend the GM version for clearance reasons.
Electrical Tape
Knife
Butt Connectors*
Wire Crimper**

*optional
**only needed if using butt connectors to connect the wires.

HOW TO

1. Remove 4 nuts holding each taillight assembly

2. Unplug all 4 sockets on each assembly

3. Cut the very small, very different sockets off the harnesses. You can't mistake these as they have very small bulbs like 194's in them.

4. Splice the wire marked "B" (middle) from the new sockets to the brown wires on the cut harness. See pic #2.

5. Splice the wire marked "G" (right-most) from the new sockets to the black wires on the cut harness. See pic #2.

6. Look at each middle socket on the harnesses. One driver's side has a light green/orange wire; the passenger's side has a orange/light blue wire. Splice the remaining wire ("A" - left-most) from the new socket into [orange or green] wire. See pic for clear explanation.

7. Tape up all connections with electrical tape (don't be stingy)

8. Plug all harnesses into the taillight assemblies and bolt assemblies back up.

FINISHED!
That's all. As you may have noticed, all 6 light sections now light up with the brake and turn signals, whereas the orginal factory setup, only uses 4 of the lights for brake/turn and leaves the other 2 to be only parking lamps.

*** NOTE ***
You are also setup for sequential taillights. During the sequential setup, you are needed to make all 6 light sections light. Well, you have already completely this step! :)

Kuplex

Retired Admin
mikek2111987 said:
pics are dead already :lol:
but good write up
I see them fine.

Anyway, a few people have been asking about this lately, so I figured a quick write-up was in order. This conversion saves people the trouble of having to get the 96-98 harnesses or the "adaptors" from Mr. BodyKit.

hicarbon

Einsatzgruppen
Son of a.....The images aren't showing up again. Anyone else having this problem? Also, um, just out of curiosity, would I looked upon as an idiot and a "misbadger" for doing this to a '95? (I only ask this because of the dif. in the taillight bezels and it would almost feel as though I were trying to make it look newer than it actually is.)

Kuplex

Retired Admin
hicarbon said:
Son of a.....The images aren't showing up again. Anyone else having this problem? Also, um, just out of curiosity, would I looked upon as an idiot and a "misbadger" for doing this to a '95? (I only ask this because of the dif. in the taillight bezels and it would almost feel as though I were trying to make it look newer than it actually is.)
I still see the pics fine. It may have just been my image provider that was down for a bit.
And no, changing your taillights is not considered misbadging.:thumbup:

hicarbon

Einsatzgruppen
Kuplex said:
I still see the pics fine. It may have just been my image provider that was down for a bit.
And no, changing your taillights is not considered misbadging.:thumbup:
Must have been it, cause I seem em just great now. Thanks. :)

phil_bradley

Not to say this is a better way, because the right way is always the better way, but...

I had 96-98 Euro taillights on my 94 GT, and all I did was put the stock socket into the hole. It doesn't lock it, but it sits fine; I not once broke a bulb of had any malfunctions of any sort.

I could have been screwing up big time by doing this, but it worked for me for that little bit of time.

sarahsmustang

I bought a set of 98 tail lights, and a sequential light kit. I took the bezels off and had them painted to match the car. Just about ready to install them, but I have a wiring question.

The guy that sent me the lights, included the two extra ford sockets. Should I use them and patch in as shown, or would I be better off to find and buy a 96-98 tail light harness?

If I buy a harness, is it a direct plug and play?

tas

5.0yellowgt

Truckers Do It Longer
sarahsmustang said:
I bought a set of 98 tail lights, and a sequential light kit. I took the bezels off and had them painted to match the car. Just about ready to install them, but I have a wiring question.

The guy that sent me the lights, included the two extra ford sockets. Should I use them and patch in as shown, or would I be better off to find and buy a 96-98 tail light harness?

If I buy a harness, is it a direct plug and play?

tas

Yes all u have to do is unplug the connector right inside the trunk on ur 94-95 harness and the 96-98 harness plugs right into it, u don't have to do ne thing. Peice of cake. i have a 94 and 95 both with 96-98 tail lights its so easy i can do it with my eyes closed!