Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

96 - 98 Cobra Vs. 99 & 01 Cobra

Discussion in 'Mustang Talk' started by JpL4K3, Mar 6, 2010.

1. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

Just wondering what the differences are motor wise between the 96 - 98 Cobras and the 99 & 01s. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

As far as i know, the 96-98 had B heads while the 99-01 have the C heads (Better). Also, the intake is supposed to be better flowing. 96-99 came with the teksid block which is made in Italy i believe and is supposed to be much stronger. Early 01s have the teksid but later switched to the Windsor block. The 99s had a recall with the intake manifold so they were either honed or acid dipped. Umm......i think thats it. Someone else chime in incase i forgot something.

3. Francis

Francis Seattle, WA>Texas

from wikipedia:

4. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

Horsepower wise they are the same though right? i know 305hp stock on 96 - 98, were the early new edge cobras the same, after the recall was fixed?

EDIT: NVM just read post above me. I have read on other forums that the 96 - 98 heads still flow very well for stock, truth to this?

5. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

320 was for the 99-01 models. After the recall, they produced just that at the flywheel. I read somewhere that the acid dipped intakes produced a little bit more power than the honed ones. Mine dynoed at 300rwhp and 296ftlbs with just an intake and exhaust. The way you can tell is checking the intake manifold on the driver side to see if it has a blue or green dot. The blue meant that it was honed while the green one was acid dipped (mine).

6. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

so it would be easy to just swap upper intake manifolds from an 01 to a 98 then right?

7. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

I dont think they would match right up. You'd have to get the heads in order for them to work. I'll have to double check on that.

8. Justin251

Justin251 hotpocketssssss

I wouldn't bother with a 96-98 cobra unless it was in immaculate condition.

9. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

10. JpL4K3

JpL4K3 Moderator

11. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

Dont know about the 96-98 but i think its the same as mine which is about 425 rwhp before things start going south. I have heard of people having more without problems but i wouldnt advice it.

12. kcoon24

kcoon24 Well-Known Member

pre-99 cobra ftw. they are sex for looks. worth the slight dip in power imho.

13. lowflyn

lowflyn eh? Supporting Member

Most guys are able to run 8-9 lbs of boost on a stock 96-98 longblock = around 450 at the wheels. I have a few friends running this setup with no issues for several years.

If I had to choose between the two new edge would be put aside for the styling of the 96-98. Only in bright atlantic blue however.

14. Ortiz

Ortiz Sup

idk man, i was debating for the longest time wether i wanted a 98 cobra or a new edge. When i found this thing in the perfect condition it was in, i had to buy it with cold hard cash :cool:. Looking back, i know i would have regretted it buying the older style cobra.

15. RaggedRides

RaggedRides Catfish Wrangler

I had found an excellent and detailed write up comparing the different 4.6 heads when I asked myself the same question, but I can't find it anymore. This one's decent.

http://www.sullivanperformance.com/YVS450/tech/tech1.htm

Stock for stock, the 99/01 Cobras typically dyno 20-25 horses higher than the 96-98s. I've seen the earlier models average in the 255-260 range while the newer ones run around 275-280ish. Of course there are cars that will do lower and higher than average, but that's what I've seen for the most part. One of the biggest differences between the two are the IMRCs that the B-headed 4.6s have that, much like the split-port V6, relies on butterflies in the intake to control low and high RPM airflow. It's much like a 4bbl carb if you think about it. Other than the IMRCs, the C top end has shorter intake runners and simply flows better in comparison to the B headed top end.

Throwing the cars at one another, they aren't as far apart as many might think although the New Edge has an advantage. One plus to the older model is the straight axle rear end right out of the box (if you like to drag).

If I were out shopping, I'd like to find an Electric Green '99, but for the money I'd go with a '96-98 and scout out some 03/04 heads like you'd get on the Terminator and Mach 1. From there, slap on an exhaust, 4.30s, tune and a set of drag radials. What interested me in the comparison originally was how easy it is to go from a SOHC to DOHC 4.6. Swapping out the entire engine or just the top end is not really that difficult and GTs can be had for dirt compared to Cobras. Lest not to forget the sleeper factor of pulling up in a lowly "NPI GT" that puts a hurtin' on LS1s and Machs. Screw the Cobra, give me a Tangerine '96 with a DOHC swap. That or I think it'd be interesting to score a cheap '99 GT and build a Mach 1 clone for half the cash it'd take to go out and buy the real deal.

Got something up your sleeve or are you just curious?

16. punypony

punypony Sleeper

i would get the 01, had stronger irs, good heads, cool tail lights, etc.

17. whammy91

whammy91 Viva New Edge Resistance!

i would go with a 99-01 cobra:)
    Viva la New Edge Resistance!