Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 Mustang V6 starter replacement

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Phil, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Phil

Phil Member

How do i get the damn starter out after I loosen it. Do I have to disconnect the passenger side motor mount and jack up the motor?

2. 6 Shooter

6 Shooter Well-Known Member

Think there are 3 wires that are connected to the starter. Got to disconnect each one. And, due to limited space, may have to remove the passenger header.

3. Phil

Phil Member

It was the bracket holding the OX Sensor and starter wire loom. It was bent onto the endbell of the starter motor and wouldn't let it come out.

4. Assassinsix

Assassinsix New Member

Having the same problem with my sons car. How did you manage it? Remove the bracket holding the O2 sensor? Bend it? I don’t see a viable solution. If I move forward it hits the stupid bracket & won’t clear the housing. If I angle it up it comes out farther but still will not clear housing. I do not have the tools/equipment to drop subframe or pull engine.

The exhaust runs behind it so that’s NOT an issue on this model. The subframe is a) 1 single piece so I can’t just remove a portion and b) prevents me from getting to it from the wheel well

It’s snowing and I’m 2 seconds from calling the junk yard to come get it.

Any help would be appreciated

5. Phil

Phil Member

I literally was beating the crap out of the damn thing and then noticed that bracket. I took it off was able to get it out. Not sure i reinstalled.