Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

98 V6 cranks forever!!

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Codybam92, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Codybam92

Codybam92 New Member

Hey guys I have a 98 Mustang V6 the car cranks forever until I can finally get started.
    -No theft light
    -Cranks over perfectly
    -35psi fuel pressure-holds 40psi when not running so not the fuel pump?
    -Battery is the correct cranking amps.

-On a rare few occaision the fuel pump, relays, and check engine light would flicker like there was a short? Then start right up.
    Pulling codes p1000 and p1260.

Like I said the car cranks for 15-20 seconds.. then I wait for about 30 seconds with the key on then it starts

2. douglass

douglass Active Member

the p1260 is a theft related code. You could check the crank & cam sensors.

P1260 FORD Description The P1260 code can be set if the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) has determined a theft condition existed and the engine is disabled or an engine start was attempted using a non-PATS key. This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is a good indicator to check the PATS for DTCs. This DTC can also be set when a new Instrument Cluster (IC), Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) or Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is installed without correctly programming either module even if the vehicle is not equipped with PATS.

Read more: P1260 FORD Theft Detected - Vehicle Immobilized

3. Codybam92

Codybam92 New Member

Pulling code p1260. New transponder, ccrm tests positive even swaped out of a shell, new coil, new battery, only starts if I leave the key on for 2 mins. No theft light, bulb check passed. Wtf???

4. Codybam92

Codybam92 New Member

New tires today

Attached Files:

5. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

Had a mustang in our shop that did that a few years ago. Ended up having to replace the computer (ECU).