Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99-04 for AutoX

Discussion in 'Racing Forum' started by CB-Man, Feb 16, 2014.

1. CB-Man

CB-Man New Member

Hello all.

I have always been a car guy but some how got into horses as well. Too expensive to do both.
    So I recently got out of horses and focusing on cars again. So right now all I have is my truck.
    I have always liked the 99-04 body style.
    I want something to drive around besides my big truck all the time but also want to get into some kind of racing. I like drag racing but building a drag car to drive around isn't really practical.
    So I was thinking about doing auto X. It seems you can find a v6 99-04 stang with lower miles for the same money.
    So just looking for those how AutoX their v6 stangs and how well they do
    Anyone running a 4.10 rear end?

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Welcome!

I do autocross with my '03. Its heavily modified. IMHO, start with a manual car. I didn't, and swapping transmissions is no joke. The v8 will come with more market support, but the v6 is a very viable option at this point. Ideally the v6 is slightly less nose heavy, but that point is moot if you tack on a power adder, or compare to an aluminum modular motor. Another member here road-races with a v6 that has a cobra IRS swapped in. That had really good F/R balance.

If you're really interested in buying a car for the express purpose of autox, then take a moment to figure if you'll be running with SCCA or NASA, or both. Then ponder which class you'd like to be in for long term. You could go to one of these events and ride shotgun with different cars, especially mustangs, to get an idea of what it would be like. Then maybe go shopping around for a car.

I used 3.73s and 3.31s with the automatic. Now I use 3.31s and a built manual (2.95 1.95 1.36 1.00 0.59). I hugely prefer the 3.31 ratio, but it works well for me because I have torque throughout the rpm range. I recommend against the 4.10 ratio for anything other than drag racing. And really not even then.

3. CB-Man

CB-Man New Member

Thanks Phil,

I mainly want a car for a daily driver besides my truck. But I definitely want manual trans. From reading around about autoX and talking to people I know there are many cars more suited for AutoX but im not a fan of buying foreign. And I want the most for the money. Looking at around $3000. So I can find a v6 with lower miles in that price range.
    And definitely a manual so I can work on my driving skills. AutoX has a lot to do with that. So if I run this year it will be all stock most likely.

It seems most AutoX events here in Detroit Michigan area are SCCA. This will be a car to get me started. If I want to move up I feel I can upgrade the mustang or buy another designated car.
    The mustang seems to be a good platform to modify. while there is a large aftermarket for the 4.6 there is a lot of options for the mustang in general when it comes to suspension and handling.

4. Phil II

Sounds like you got it figured out.

When you do close the deal on it, I recommend finding some sticky tires. To run in stock class you can use a different wheel. The catch is the new wheel can only be an inch narrower or wider than stock, etc. If you choose a v6, I also recommend bolting on a rear sway bar from a gt. The rear sways could come from something as old as a fox body up until 2004.

5. mac_mogul

mac_mogul Ned knows best.

I did autocross with my 03 v6 and while the auto transmission was an impediment at times, I still ran faster times that some guys with better-prepared cars.
    Be sure you have a good understanding of the classification rules before you start modding. I went into auto-x after I had done some basic mods and I ended up running in street open and even though my times were decent, I was not competitive for the class. Now that I know what I'm doing, I've planned out the mods on my Focus and I am able to be much more competitive in my class.

My concern is your budget... for $3k you're not going to get a great Mustang, definitely not one that is ready for autocross. Bump it up to $4-5k and you could realistically be looking at a relatively clean 02-03 with less than 120k miles. Personally, I would stay away from the 99s as there are a few mechanical differences that make them less ideal for motorsports.

6. CB-Man

CB-Man New Member

Thanks Mac,
    I will try to stay away from the 99's . Trying to find a car under 140K miles is why I am choosing to go V6. I don't want a worn out GT.
    I have a pretty good income and I am down sizing and getting some bills paid off so I will have money to add mods.
    I have seen some between $3000 - $3500 with under 130k miles. I have some body skills as well. I'd rather do some body work as I drive it and get a deal then have a high mileage engine.

I did find an SCCA class list and what mods are allowed in classes. street stock is pretty basic. About only how the cars come stock. even adding 18in rims and low pro tires bumps you up to the next class. I might run it in stock class when I first get it but rims and tires will be top of the list for racing.
    Like you have said I will have to get a positive list and add mods that are allowed for the class I want to run in.

7. Phil II

That's a pretty solid plan.
    One benefit of running a v6 is that oem parts are generally cheaper, and usually can be found at a junkyard. There are many parts for gts and cobras that can fit on the sixxer ,too.

8. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

I know I'm late the the party but using a stockish V6 for auto-x is a great idea. It is a great/cheap platform to learn performance driving. The chassis and suspension is far from ideal so you will have to learn how to make the car do what you want. This will help you in the future if you modify the car, get a different one, or move to road racing. I started with my mostly stock V6 in auto-x and had a blast every step of the way.

9. CB-Man

CB-Man New Member

Hello all. thank you for all the replies. I am still looking. Even have considered the idea of just getting GT.
    As the GT would be more fun to drive on the street daily.
    The more I read SCCA and NASA are all about classing. I wouldn't want to run a V6 for very long. I was thinking about running it over the summer and then turbo charging over the winter. But as far as class goes adding a Power Adder bumps your class up pretty highly modified. I don't have much of a problem with this. I guess I just want to race and make the best car I can while learning to drive the best I can. But as nice as a turbo V6 sounds all motor seems to be more reliable powered and specially if I get into road racing.
    But if I get into a V6 I have both options. turbo or drop in a better ford racing V8
    I have income for upgrades just trying to keep the initial purchase under $5k
    I need to find some on a used lot and drive them. I'm worried I will get a V6 and be disappointed driving it.

10. Phil II

Its good you're reading into the details. I didn't do this first.

The underpinnings of a new edge gt and v6 are very similar. The biggest differences will be the greater torque and lsd rear in the gt when comparing stock to stock. The v6 will be lighter, and moderately less nose heavy, but that's on paper. The v6 and gt both come with soft suspension, so expect nose dive and understeering.

Here is a really good write up that explains the limitations of the stock rear suspension geometry and why it can rapidly transition from understeer to snap over-steer.

getsidewayzdrift likes this.
  11. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

If you are worried about classing with a turbo in NASA, you can always get a dyno recirtification that would put you in a class that you will be competitive in. BUT it is a great idea to know exactly what direction you want to take before buying a car for the track so you don't end up spending way more than you want. I can say that building a turbo car for the track is very very expensive. A stock V6 motor can make for an extremely fun track car and with the right driving can keep up with more cars than you would expect.

12. CB-Man

CB-Man New Member

cars can always be sold and bought. and whatever chassis you use it can always be taken to extremes.
    Whatever car I choose though after I get some driving experience I would definitely want the car to handle better so suspension upgrades with come and better rims and tires. so I guess you just have to do the upgrades for the handling and go to that class.
    I know the expenses of building engines and parts. I can do all the work myself so that helps but still thousands of dollars.
    The v6 turbo would just be unique and fun.
    Ultimately I think road course racing would be awesome. but I will start with autoX as I believe they will be easier to find.
    I will just keep my options open between V6 and GT

Honestly I have always been a Chevy guy. I own a Chevy truck and I'm restoring a 79 Camaro.
    I have never classified myself as brand specific.... I only appreciate good designs.
    Looking at the late 90's Camaros they seems so long and pointy front ends. I have read they do come with a great suspension package though. Mustang just seems shorter and I like the look of the 99-04. To me its almost a balance between muscle and sport compact.