Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 cobra tail lights

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Appearance & Entertainment' started by frisko4one5, Nov 28, 2007.

1. frisko4one5

frisko4one5 STANG RIDDAH

anybody know if there is a wiring harness for the 99 cobra tail lights? thinking about getting some but i dont want to do the whole splicing the wiring thing b/c i dont really get how to do it from what mustangworld.com says

2. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

There is a wiring harness but it's essentially the same as the regular one with an extra wire and one more socket.
    I've installed them on my GT if you need a break down. It's very easy to do.

My wiki article

If you can't get a hold of a Cobra harness, I can tell you how to change your existing one to accommodate it.

3. frisko4one5

frisko4one5 STANG RIDDAH

know of any places that would have the wiring harness kuplex?

4. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

Honestly, I don't besides Ford. Mine came with my lights. :(

Even with the harness, I still had to cut off the pigtail (different than the normal one), splice in the pigtail from my factory harness so it would plug in, and route one additional wire. You could wire an adapter to avoid cutting up the harnesses, but I wasn't worried about it.

5. frisko4one5

frisko4one5 STANG RIDDAH

ey kuplex u got any pics of the wiring cutting and stuff. I just got mine order from friend that works at ford. I got both tail lights for 120 each plus shipping is that a good deal?

6. mysteed

mysteed is back!

If you follow the directions in the link he posted the wiring will be fine.

7. Gameboy_J

Gameboy_J Coming Soon...Coilovers.

considering you can never find a decent used set...yes.

8. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

Yeah I can get you pics, but unfortunately I won't be able to until Saturday. It's dark when I get home from work.

9. frisko4one5

frisko4one5 STANG RIDDAH

thats koo man im not getting the lights til next week anyways and then i have to order the wiring harness for both lights.

10. frisko4one5

frisko4one5 STANG RIDDAH

yea he found me a set at another dealership. since he works in the parts department most of the time he can find me good deals on stuff. sometimes up to 50% off i think he got these for like 40% off which was kool =0 now i just hope i can install them :confused:

11. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

I found mine a couple years ago for $170 /pair or something like that and they were going for $150-200 a side even then. :eek:

12. frisko4one5

frisko4one5 STANG RIDDAH

lucky u got them cheap!! heh now a days since they dont make them anymore they are like gold. i think i saw a website that was selling each side for like 225 each side.. i do have to buy the wiring harnesses tho they like 30 bucks each =( but i have a 01 cobra front bumper comming next week painted torch red so im sure these cobra lights will make it look very nice =0

13. frisko4one5

frisko4one5 STANG RIDDAH

hey kuplex did u ever get those pixs for the cobra lights? i just recieved my cobra lights from ford and i took a pix of the wiring for you so u can tell me if thats all i need or am i missing the wiring harness, cause im not sure if the wiring it came with is the wiring harness. let me know please so i can install these bad boys. thx

Attached Files:

14. Kuplex

Kuplex Retired Admin

Sorry, man. I had been fighting a nasty flu all weekend and spent most of Saturday and Sunday wrapped in a blanket full of medicine. :eek:

Now, that is the Cobra harness, however it will not simply plug into your current wiring system. This is where I said I cut the pigtail off of my old lights and the new one and put the old one on the new one. Matching color for color, that left a green wire leftover that I ran to the 3rd brake light.

You'll also need a different flasher or it'll blink like crazy. Check the wiki link I posted earlier for a part #. I promise I will take pictures of everything I did this Saturday morning and have them posted for you. I'll give you any help you need until they work flawlessly.
    :)

15. frisko4one5

frisko4one5 STANG RIDDAH

hey man i totally understand i had the flu a few weeks back and it wasnt kool. thats kool that it comes with the harness. that would be great if u can get me some pictures of the step by step and how u wraped the wires and what to cut before i mess everything up. like the one to the brake light. also by flasher what exactly do u mean? do u mean the bulb in the yellow spot of the light? cause if so it already has the bulb if not can u find a pix of it or something so i can know what it looks like. about how long did it take u to install? also do u have to cut the wire under the dash and if i cut it can i put it back if i ever wanted to remove the lights?

PS: you rock kuplex!!

16. pb2unknown

pb2unknown Boost Wanted.

Wheres the best place to get a pair?
    I've been looking for them for awhile now.

17. frisko4one5

frisko4one5 STANG RIDDAH

well i know someone that works at a ford parts and service depo and he located a pair for me looking through the ford database to see if any other fords had them and he did so i asked him to grab them for me cause i know how rare they are. and he got me each one for 120 plus shipping so it wasnt that bad. just the installation is going to be the hard part

18. pb2unknown

pb2unknown Boost Wanted.

so 240 plus shipping??? :uhh:

19. matthews.stang

matthews.stang Well-Known Member

That's not too bad.

The export tail lights I want are like $400. :(

20. 71mustang99

71mustang99 i'm back in...woot

never noticed that they were any different...weird