Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

99 Mustang engine rebuild, or remanufactured engine

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by 99applemustangdudesixauto, Sep 22, 2019.

1. 99applemustangdudesixauto

99applemustangdudesixauto Member

My 99 Mustang six, auto - has 192000 miles on it, runs great. maybe 10000 miles ago or a bit less, oil showed up in the coolant - Ford flushed the cooling system, replaced all oil-soaked hoses, and oil didn't reappear after a thousand miles or so. Then recently, had oil change, and again some oil in the coolant. Also have a slight coolant leak somewhere, no visible leakage, occasionally sucks down some coolant from recovery bottle during city driving, seems to hold very steady on coolant level on long trips.

What is best, rebuilding this engine, or remanufactured engine. Was surprised to see Ford about the six thousand price, which seems exorbitant - but unclear when I click on different parts stores as to the range in their prices, what is included with the 4 grand reman engine that the 2 grand reman engine doesn't have - look at Jasper, bad ratings - ?

2. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

More than likely cylinder heads are warped. You can pull the heads your self and send them to a machine shop to get milled and have a valve job done for probably less than $400. Or you could buy a set of re-manufactured cylinders heads for $500-$600. Or call around at some of the smaller local auto shops to see how much they'd charge for a head job, should be in the area of $1000-$1500. As long as the oil has been regularly changed, the bottom end (pistons, rings, crank, etc) should be good for 300,000 miles (daily driver, not track obviously).

3. Pete fender

Pete fender Pete Fender

Most likely your problem, and how to solve it economically.
    Use spray contact cement to hold the sandpaper down.
    I have an old tempered glass cofee table top, it's 1/4" tempered glass, but most thick glass will do.
    I do this in my shop, never had a failure.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  4. Pete fender

Pete fender Pete Fender

One other thing.
    If you don't get your engine temp up often enough, you will get water from the air.
    It condenses, in the oil cap, dipstick tube, and inside the oil fill area.
    If you saw no water after a long trip, you most likely do not have a blow gasket.
    To find a leak, if any, get yourself a pressure tester.