Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A/C Eliminator

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Cheyne, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

Has anyone seen a A/C Eliminator for the 3.7? I'm building a 2011 V6 for road racing in the SCCA Touring 3 class and we are going to remove the A/C. I know Ford has one for the 4.6L V8, but haven't found anything for the 3.7L yet.

Cheyne

2. V6procharged

V6procharged Moderator Staff Member

not sure, welcome to the site though. try a couple of site sponsors.

3. kgmx856

kgmx856 Dirtbike Aficionado

If you are building a race car, you should be good with a set of calipers. If you have a machine shop or know of one it wouldn't be too hard to make a bracket and put an idler on it.

4. BigEZ

BigEZ Between two ferns

From the searching I did, I didn't find much in the ways of a shop that produces them commercially. You might have to fab up a bracket out of plate steel and attach an idler.

5. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

I was hoping to avoid a fab job, but if push comes to shove we can make one up and depending on how it goes I might make up some extras. We are going to start the build, not much to it in Touring, in the next couple of weeks. I will keep the site update as the build goes on. Rehegan Racing from Grand-Am Cup is going to helping with the build.

Cheyne

6. gsxter

gsxter New Member

there is an easier way... buy a small 6 rib serp belt and just bypass the ac pulley on the belt routing. leave the ac compressor and all lines attached so you dont have to go thru the trouble. drive to the track with the ac crankin and get there swap out the $8 belt and go play. i doubt the 20 or so lbs of ac AC hardware will make or brake your race season!!! Good luck

7. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

There won't be any A/C when we are done. Also the car won't be street legal anymore once we have it stripped down. In the next week or two we will be stripping the car down and selling off the complete interior, suspension, exhaust and door windows. The car has to get down to 3500lbs with me in it and I'm about 250lbs.

I would put up pictures, but I guess I can't yet.

Cheyne

8. gsxter

gsxter New Member

withmy car full weight and a 1/4 tank of fuel and me out of it it came in at 3352lbs. i was shocked. i dont have the pony pack or sync or leather or anything. I have base model all the way. thats the way i wanted it.

9. BigEZ

BigEZ Between two ferns

If I remember correctly there's a 10 post waiting period or something like that (mainly to keep spammers from mucking up the boards).

10. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

I will let you guys know what the weight is once the build is done. The safety/race equipment that we have to put in should just about balance out what we take out if the SCCA rules makers have done their job correctly. We had looked at running NASA American Iron with the car, but we would have to get down 2600lbs. It can be done. We got a 2004 Cobra down to 2750lbs for American Iron Extreme. That included lots of carbon parts from Tiger Racing.

Cheyne

11. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

Yeah it was giving me a error that I needed 5 posts. Well guess what this is 5. :)

12. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

Here are some pics of the last car we built. It started life as a 2004 Cobra. We bought it in March 2004 and the only street miles the car ever saw was the drive home from the dealership. The class we ran with the car require that you have 2 VIN numbers that confirm the car's identity. The same goes for the new class with the V6, just a couple of classes down. Instead of 911's and Vette's we will be up against S2000's, Cobalt SS, RX8's, BMW Z4's and Nissan 350z's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. chaoticdismay

chaoticdismay the rippin and the tearin

Ever race against John George in AI?

14. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

Nope, I believe he is out of the Texas region. I haven't run the AI Championship. I mainly run in the SCCA, but have done a few NASA regional events.

Cheyne

15. chaoticdismay

chaoticdismay the rippin and the tearin

Yes he is :). That cobra looks amazing and I can't comprehend gutting a brand new car lol.

16. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

Hey Cheyne,

Welcome to the site. Sounds like a fun project! I haven't come across any AC eliminator brackets for the 3.7. You might want to try contacting Justin at vmptuning.com. If someone had the connections and desire to fab something up and turn it into a marketable product, it just might be him.

17. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

Almost all the cars I have built have started life as new cars when I got them in the last 20 years. The funny part for me is I have never owned a nice street car. Instead I drive my truck I tow, F350 dually, with for the past 15 years.

This is the Cobra 1 month after we bought it.

[​IMG]

If you really want to get weight out of a car just start gutting the wiring. We took out over 40lbs of wire from the car. Once we would remove a something from the car, like the power seats, we would trace out the wiring as far as possible and remove it all. We kept it in a bucket that ended up weighing 40lbs.

Nikko thanks for the tip.

Cheyne

18. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

Had a doh moment today. I didn't realize that the A/C was on a secondary belt. I just assumed that they would have used one belt. Just pulled the belt off per the recommendation from Ford Racing. Now we will just need to remove the rest of the A/C components.

Cheyne

19. Brandonv6

Brandonv6 New Member

Cheyne, you have to keep us posted on this build, pics of this project and that cobra is sweeet!:D

20. Cheyne

Cheyne New Member

Thanks Brandon. I started a thread under the Racing section for the car.

Cheyne