Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A question about a mythical V6.......

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by MusicallyMrM, Aug 16, 2016.

1. MusicallyMrM

MusicallyMrM Grampa's Toy

:)....well mythical to me at least because I've found info out here on the net but no one has ever seen one.

I have an 03 V6 Pony and I pulled a VIN check on the car (VIN ID 1FAFP40453F3:) and it comes back stating that this is a Pony Coupe with a 4.0 L V6. I never knew that engine even existed for the 03 Mustang and everyone I talk to knows nothing about it. :josh7owens: I know there was a 4.0 Liter available for the 03 Explorers, Ranger Pickups and Full size F150's. I also know that many parts from the truck 4.0 interchange with the Essex based 3.8 engine in the Mustangs. Does anyone truly know if there was actually a 4.0 available in 03 for the Mustang?

2. six gun

six gun Active Member

Uhh no. 3.8 up to 03, 3.9 in 04 (though practically the same as 3.8).

2005 was the magic year for the 4.0.

I however was not aware there was interchangeable parts between 3.8 and 4.0.

3. MusicallyMrM

MusicallyMrM Grampa's Toy

Well not so much as internal parts but ignition stuff, MAF sensor, etc. I've replaced the coil pack on it with one from a 4.0 L F-150.

4. six gun

six gun Active Member

I'm aware of rangers having the 4.0 while the F150 had a 4.2 which is also related to the 3.8. Practically the same too but stroked. However I wouldn't doubt a 4.0 coil pack from around '02 or so would fit Essex engines.

5. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Can you post a picture?