? about drilling through fiberglass

DarkhorseV6

One bad pony
i just got my mach 1 chin spoiler in from Mustangtuning.com for my 98 mustang, i know how to install it more or less but i was wondering.......whats the best way to drill through the fiberglass?. also, will it be secure with just those "push screws" that it came with or will i need to use bolts and nuts?

AZdevil

liquor box
Z28KiLLer said:
i just got my mach 1 chin spoiler in from Mustangtuning.com for my 98 mustang, i know how to install it more or less but i was wondering.......whats the best way to drill through the fiberglass?. also, will it be secure with just those "push screws" that it came with or will i need to use bolts and nuts?
don't drill through fiberglass, it will crack. Don't really know of a way too, sorry.

BISKIT

Wait a second, I might be very misinformed, but I thought our front bumpers were not made of fiberglass.

novaspyder

Crash and Burn
you can drill thru fiberglass just fine. I just put my body kit on and had no problems whatsoever drilling...

gcayo

Go RIO RED
OK, take a drill , put a wood drill bit on it (or any drill bit for that matter). Drill. Dont use their crappy push pins, I got stainless steel bolts from lowes. Raise the car or at least one side at a time.

The worst you can do is put a hole in the wrong place!

Kuplex

Retired Admin
Z28KiLLer said:
I imagine that means you have the stock bumper. You can drill through it just fine - it is NOT fiberglass. I put mine on a few weeks ago. Don't use the pins, you'll regret it becuase they suck. Buy some bolts (about 3/8 to 1/4 in length) and use those instead with nuts and washers. It will hold it better.
It roughly puts the front clearance of your car about 1/2" closer to the ground, so don't worry about having push-pins just in case the chin gets caught.
Jack the car up (use jackstands please), hold the chin spoiler up and mark your holes, then drill them and bolt it up. Will probaly take about 30min - 1hr, depending.

xneox

there is no spoon
What ^he^ said....

As for drilling through glas, I had no problem drilling 6 new holes through my trunklid when I moved my spoiler back 2.5". Just used a sharpie, then a punch to mark the holes & used 4 progressively larger bits for each hole. No cracking at all.

Kuplex

Retired Admin
xneox said:
What ^he^ said....

As for drilling through glas, I had no problem drilling 6 new holes through my trunklid when I moved my spoiler back 2.5". Just used a sharpie, then a punch to mark the holes & used 4 progressively larger bits for each hole. No cracking at all.
Do 99+ have fiberglass trunk lids? Cuz 94-98 have metal ones......

xneox

there is no spoon
Do you know whether [unpainted] fiberglass will swell if exposed to water?

I left the factory holes as-is, because water will just drain thru them into the same place that water drains thru the seam.....but I was wondering if I should paint them......

ShockwaveTXB

Make sure you get washers for the bolts too...both sides...this way you wont turn the bolt too tight and tear into the bumper.

SNA

Fiberglass does not crack when you drill through it.... washers are a good idea.

speedpenguin

Misanthrope
Kuplex said:
Yeah, my hood is fiber glass, too. But that's cool. I never even realized that the trunk lids were fiberglass on 99+. :thumbup:

You're not saying that 99+ cars have fiberglass hoods and trunks from the factory are you? I'm pretty sure that mine are just metal, like the rest of the car. It's heavy like metal, and sounds like metal when you knock it. Now I know you can buy fiberglass hoods, and maybe even trunk lids, but I don't believe they are stock.

Kuplex

Retired Admin
speedpenguin said:
You're not saying that 99+ cars have fiberglass hoods and trunks from the factory are you? I'm pretty sure that mine are just metal, like the rest of the car. It's heavy like metal, and sounds like metal when you knock it. Now I know you can buy fiberglass hoods, and maybe even trunk lids, but I don't believe they are stock.
My trunk lid on my 95 is metal, but my hood is fiberglass with steel (or aluminum?) underneath supporting it. And it is stock. I thought it was wierd too. The frame (or what have you) of the hood is definately metal, but the actual hood top itself is fiberglass.

xneox said that trunk lids on 99+ were fiberglass, not me.

xneox

there is no spoon
Kuplex said:
My trunk lid on my 95 is metal, but my hood is fiberglass with steel (or aluminum?) underneath supporting it. And it is stock. I thought it was wierd too. The frame (or what have you) of the hood is definately metal, but the actual hood top itself is fiberglass.

xneox said that trunk lids on 99+ were fiberglass, not me.

Yup, they are. Not sure about the frame of the hood on my car...I'll have to check that out....

...but the trunklid (2 pieces) is 100% fiberglass.....STOCK.....as are the rest of them.

whipster24

I bent my wookie
fiberglass can splinter a bit when drilling through it though. I'd suggest using some tape to minimize this.

3WheelerDude

Goat lover
My 2000 trunk and hood are fiberglass....

And for the drilling part I was gonna suggest putting masking tape before you drill to minimize cracks and splinters, just lhe mentioned above... :thumbup: