Addicted to the rush of the race - From CNN

greensteeda

Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!
My local track closed this last season :mad: I am left with no choice to find my high speed thrills, unless I want to travel 300+ miles to the next closest drag strip. I have a feeling street racing is gonna make a huge comeback in the Spokane, WA area this next summer, we're buried in snow at the moment. Since the drag strip opened for Friday Night Street Races, back in I believe 00-01, its pretty rare to see an actual street race, and not some lil punks in stock civics who thinks theys the **** and just revin out to hear their fart cannons.

Wow, I am sorry for your suffering. Drag strips are a dime a dozen. Road race circuits are much much more scars so cry me a river. I usually drive no less than 200 miles to get to a track. More than 500 if I want to get to any new ones that I haven't been to.

I do however feel bad that they closed down a track, I honestly do. I love motorsports more than anything and I wish that there was a track open year round in every city so that I could watch and participate more. It sucks, and if there is no track people are a lot more likely to race. However I am not buying that for a cop out reason to street race.

nikko

Admin Emeritus
Can street racing lead to death? Yes... but how many street races take place every day/night that go perfectly fine and don't kill (or even injure) anyone.

How many armed robberies go off perfectly well without someone getting killed?

nikko

Admin Emeritus
I'd be totally in favor of a zero-tolerance street racing law.

Race, lose your license. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Game over, okthxbye.

Derick

Best Of The Best
can street racing d bags not be avoided?

around here, no one ever starts **** with me. (roughly 100K population - lots of college kids). there are places where people would start ****, but i have better things to do that drive up and down the same street............

start at long johns, drive the business loop, turn around when i get sonic, head back to long johns = doesn't sound like a blast.

do people just mess with you while you guys are on your way to work or school? thats freakin weird. i get the occassional jack ass to do something silly around me on the highway, but i chalk that up to them being a moron..............not them tyring to race me at 8am.

blainestang

3 Mustangs, 0 Spoilers

Race, lose your license. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Game over, okthxbye.

With certain qualifications, I would agree.

There are dangers, though. I could just be enjoying myself driving home from work or something, accelerating briskly, but safely away from a stoplight, when some retard tries to "race" me in the next lane.

So, a cop sees it, it admittedly LOOKS like a street race, and I lose my license.

If the zero-tolerance laws were for people caught street racing 15mph over the speed limit or something, then I would be more willing to go along with it.

Certainly, there's aren't many legitimate situations where someone who is driving legally @ 100mph can be dragged into a "street race" ticket.

Kuplex

Retired Admin
Eh, comparing murder to street racing is a bit much.

Can street racing lead to death? Yes... but how many street races take place every day/night that go perfectly fine and don't kill (or even injure) anyone.

Not trying to justify it, but when you murder someone, you kill them... when you street race, the odds are much lower. :lol:
You're reading into my analogy way too much, Raymond.

I could have just as easily posted:
That's like saying I don't randomly flash my ***** at people, I plan it out and isolate a target before I show my junk and run off into the night.
The point is, the person is still participating in the act.

greensteeda

Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!
Cliff, I have noticed over the years that you use the "***** flashing" analogy quite a bit. Just sayin:lol:

Kuplex

Retired Admin
Cliff, I have noticed over the years that you use the "***** flashing" analogy quite a bit. Just sayin:lol:
Let's just say my friend in high school had a very low tolerance to alcohol, which led to us running away from authority figures because he would "wave" to people at the strip. On more than one occasion, he was thrown in jail.
Heck, as soon as the "No cursing" signs appeared on the strip at Va Beach, he asked a bike officer 'why the **** can't I say things like ****?'.

He was one crazy mofo. Lost contact with him after I moved. :/

StangBandit

Devil Boy
Wow, I am sorry for your suffering. Drag strips are a dime a dozen. Road race circuits are much much more scars so cry me a river. I usually drive no less than 200 miles to get to a track. More than 500 if I want to get to any new ones that I haven't been to.

I do however feel bad that they closed down a track, I honestly do. I love motorsports more than anything and I wish that there was a track open year round in every city so that I could watch and participate more. It sucks, and if there is no track people are a lot more likely to race. However I am not buying that for a cop out reason to street race.

Sorry bud, took me wrong, I'm not bitching about the lack of track, I'm just bitchy cause you know 30min drive vs 5-6hr drive. I'll probably end up doing Autocross this year. I can't say I don't street race but it is very rare, especially now that I've got a son. I'm far enough in the country I can still find some straight road with no driveways or cross roads that have good visibility, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the track will open come spring, currently it is in recievership, they are looking for someone to buy it, they just are not scheduling any events at present time.

Nvacca

id agree with that too but the only thing is, how many times do you see or hear about people getting pulled over because of a loud exhaust note and they think your racing and such. its kind of a catch 22, i think zero tolerance is what we need to do for street racing but at the same time there needs to be a way to prove it. which by the way is why florida is having a hard time prosecuting the little ****ers. they should just polygraph them the kids.:thumbup:

Kuplex

Retired Admin

Let's couple that with European spec tests for acquiring a driver's license in the first place. :thumbup:

StangBandit

Devil Boy
Let's couple that with European spec tests for acquiring a driver's license in the first place. :thumbup:

I'ld be down for the Euro scheme, not the whole 0 tolerance policy though. They could try to nail you for chirping your tires at that point. Just do as Cali does/did, impound the f'ers car and crush em.