Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Alleged 05 GT defects

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Saddleup, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Saddleup

Saddleup Huge Member

2. whipster24

whipster24 I bent my wookie

Well, it looks like they are fixing the problem anyway so I'm not too concerned about it.

3. pete

pete I like Ford V6s...I own 4

The new GTs are putting down 270 at the wheels.

4. Sonic_4.6

Sonic_4.6 say gnight to the bad guy

good thing they cought it now, not like the 94-95 V6 heads :mad: . Even if i liked the 05 models, i would for sure wait til 06/07 to buy one, so all the problems are fixed.

5. Junior2561

Junior2561 [b]Junior[/b]

6. speedbump

speedbump cool guy

At least they fixed the problem for those that bought 99 Cobras. Other car companies have been known to just give you some money back when their cars don’t deliver what they are supposed to. There was not really anything wrong with the 99 Cobras, it’s just that they over rated the car.

I don’t really see how a defective 5.4L 4valve GT engine translates into a defective 4.6L 3valve Zetec Mustang engine. :confused: :confused:
    It just seems odd to me that this “problem” exists in several different engine families. A 2valve 5.4L, a 3valve 5.4L. and a 4valve 5.4L are not exactly the same engine.

oh well

7. Saddleup

Saddleup Huge Member

The 99s put out like 280 HP. Not 320. If they fixed the problem then why did the 99 Cobra owners launch a class action lawsuit against Ford? They sure weren't too happy. The problem was with the heads. They didnt fix those anyway.

That article covered F150s, Mustangs and GTs. Ford didnt even bother to attempt to fix the GTs they just put out a TSB. Thats some A1 treatment for the owners that shelled out those big bucks for their flagship. Ford is making me sick. They dont seem to give a **** about any of their customers. :thumbdown :thumbdown

8. speedbump

speedbump cool guy

One thing people need to realize is that Ford is a very large company that dose care about its customers but cant just up and recall 100,000 of cars because 100 of them MIGHT have a problem. Granted, the 99Cobra should have been recalled. the majority of people that buy SVT’s expect performance. But there were people that bought 99 Cobras and could care less about what was going on. Some prolly would have never guessed that there was anything wrong if they would have not gotten a recall letter in the mail.

Recalls are not necessarily called out because a problem HAS happened but because a problem COULD happen. Is some cases the “could happen” is sever enough to put out a recall, but in other cases it could be so minor that the company will choose to deal with it on a case by case basis.

The GT was meant to be and has proven to be one of the worlds leading performance cars. Capable of propelling you at speeds that no sane person needs to be traveling at. Or zipping you around corners so fast that you have to slow down because the traffic in front of you isn’t going 90mph. Just because there is a possibility that production cars may have a “problem” doesn’t mean recall. Full production GT’s have already proven to be more than what was expected from the original prototype. For $150k you get a car that’s right on the ass of cars that cost near a half million. Don’t mess with something that’s already good.

All that report states is that there might be a problem with certain engines that will result is less than expected specifications. Its doesn’t say that it will result in engine failure or any other break downs resulting in high price fixes, nor dose it say anything about the problem resulting in any kind of death or injury.

All “defective” vehicles will more than likely be sold as is assuming there is nothing wrong that will result in the above mentioned high priced fixes or injury. Any one that notices that their car is not putting out what was advertised will have the issue fixed. All vehicles made after this point will contain the redesigned parts and the problem will be over with. Big deal. The first few 1000 mustang GT’s MAY not have exactly 300hp. The average buyer of V6 and GT Mustangs will not know the difference. Most 30 year old women, 60 year old men, and rental car companies could give a rats ass.

And actually, reading the report again, it says “According to internal Ford documents, the engines may contain lower than specified compression”. This may actually cause emission problems, in that case the cars will more than likely be recalled not because of lacking performance but because of certain laws.
    To you or me, factory emissions mean almost nothing. It could very well be there will be no performance difference between the “defective” cars and the “fixed” ones.

9. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

Save for the heads they're basically the same. They're all part of the Modular engine family. If there was a casting problem or what not with the line that was producing the heads then it could easily affect the entire line of motors.

The 4.6 mustang motor has nothing to do with the Zetec engine family.

10. speedbump

speedbump cool guy

Yes. I am aware they are all related in that they are forms of overhead cam as apposed to OHV. But due to the complexity differences between the 2, 3, and 4 valve designs, I just assumed that the heads were not the same. Just pop the hood of a 04 Lightning and a Navigator or 00R and look. Clearly different. Same goes for a 04 GT mustang and a 01 Cobra.
    oh well.

Am I also wrong in that the new 3valve 5.4L Triton and the new 3valve 4.6L Mustang do not implement VCT?

11. Jiggab00

Jiggab00 Well-Known Member

There is a guy on another Mustang board I post on that owns a Ford Dealership and has said that all the talk of the 2005 GT's being defective and the release date being pushed back is just a nasty and unfounded rumor.....

12. 3.8MustangSteve

3.8MustangSteve Secretary of Defense

Wouldn't believe much that comes out of blue oval news anyways...

13. Sonic_4.6

Sonic_4.6 say gnight to the bad guy

AHAHAHAHAHAAHA :lol: good one

14. Burn

Burn Well-Known Member

I really do not care what issues they may or may not have, It is a great looking car. I want one. i will never be able to afford the new GT-R but it is a great looking car. And for those who think ford does not care think again. The original plan was to ship these out 6 months ago and get them out in the spring for summer. That was pushed back do to some of the same concerns listed on that web site. I have been told by a Roush rep that That Roush, Saleen, Shelby and company that produce custom versions of the mustang have had theirs for a while and or done with them but Ford told them they had to wait because ford was pushing things back. And word from Dealers here is they hit this week. Which means if you want and 04 or early later this week would be the time to try and get one. The price will fall out on the older body style as soon as the 05's hit.

15. Saddleup

Saddleup Huge Member

Oh good, theres a source thats unimpeachable. A guy that has to sell Fords for a living. He would definately be the first to criticize Ford for ****ing up. :rolleyes:

16. Burn

Burn Well-Known Member

yeah you do not piss in your own pot.

17. Saddleup

Saddleup Huge Member

You are #1 customer of the year. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets get one thing straight. Ford does not care about people. Ford sells cars. Ford sells trucks. That is what they care about. If they **** up on such a massive scale it will significantly affect their future THEN they will do something otherwise they will wait for people to complain and fix individual problems to PROTECT THEIR PROFITABILITY. Profits > customers. Thats business. They do not give a **** about us unless they HAVE TO. They are a large uncaring company. That is the definition of big business. To think otherwise is so incredibly naive you might as well be a child.
    Now on to the GT. Performance is not only important for this car it is basically the only reason it exists and sells for that matter. Its not a luxury car. You think people are going to pay $150K for a Mustang? So these defects do not affect the performance? I thought that was part of the problem. Even if this defect only affects emissions, some states have emissions checks you have to pass. Are these the only states where these cars will be fixed?
    So lets discount performance in the GT. What do you have? A $150K car. That is not perfect. Now lets consider the competition within this price range. Do you think that the other cars selling for this kind of coin are going to have defects? Do you think their customers will tolerate defects?
    Now lets look at the GT's status at Ford. This is their new flagship. They even go as far as to advertise it as 'the pace car for an entire company' or something to that effect. So this is the best they have to offer??? What does this say about the rest of their lineup? Lets look at the way Ford handles the situation. Will they step up and take care of the people that spent $150K on a FORD like any other company would that sells cars for that kind of $$$? What does this tell you about the way Ford does business? What does this tell you about how Ford values their customers if they wont even take care of their best customer?

I want to know. :confused:

18. Burn

Burn Well-Known Member

For the people that have that kinda of money for the New Ford GT they will be taken care of trust me that is how it works. Now if one of us with our used V-6 had the same is even in bigger number than the Limited Ford GT. Then yeah they would piss all over us and not even care. We are not the people that invest in there company and products we just drive there cars. If a guy buing a new ford GT said he wanted it in Pepto pink with $#!† brown stripes and he wanted to pay for it then he would get it. Money talks. That is the real way it works.

19. pete

pete I like Ford V6s...I own 4

I don't know what your are ranting about... IF there is a problem and IF the customer has a problem.... A TSB gets it fixed correctly.

Most of the GTs may never see a public road since they have been scooped up by collectors = they will never see the defect and some may not want the fix since they prize the car as it was delivered probs or not.

20. Burn

Burn Well-Known Member