Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Alternator?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by terlingua4.0, Nov 13, 2014.

1. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

Unfortunately ive been having another issue. Now my engine is starting to smell like burnt electrical components. It seems like its coming from the alternator, its making this whine sound when i drive around. Almost like a supercharger sound but a silent version of it, if you will. The weird thing is that no check engine light will appear. Should i replace the alternator? And do you think it has anything to do with my weird lighting occurrances?

2. BRN2RUN

BRN2RUN Active Member

It may be the alternator, yeah. Check engine light won't appear if the alternator is done, though. The whining or whirring sound means that the alternator is overtaxing itself, but this could also be from a really bad battery in where the alternator is working harder to provide the same current that it normally would.

Stay away from AutoZone (or up here in Canada) Part Source alternators. The normal Champion alternators aren't good (wouldn't hold a charge, though I have underdrives), and Platinum are better, but I cannot attest to the longevity of the Platinum since I hadn't used it for long and had upgraded to a 130 amp performance alternator off of American Muscle and have had no issues since.

A question: when you mention weird lighting occurances, are you talking about your headlights flickering on/ off after you turn your car off?

3. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

Hey thanks for the tip. Today i actually called aaa to come by and restart the car cus my car pretty much died. I got it turned on just enough so that i can drive it to the mechanic. They slapped on a new alternator and no more sound or smell. It turned out to be the alternator and got a warranty labor and part. 1 year. Only one problem .. Now my licence plate light, and left side light (the one by the tire) wont turn on. Im guessing a short?

4. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

Maybe even possibly a short that created this mess in the first place?

5. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

6. JJHoover

JJHoover Member

I replaced mine with an Auto Zone alternator about 4 years ago and have had no issues, the OEM did the same as your alternator did. Little past due to clean the engine compartment there.

7. terlingua4.0

terlingua4.0 Member

I replaced my alternator. No problems. There was water in my tail light. How it got in there? I dont know. It pretty much told the computer to shut off the tail light bulb. So it weirded everything else. I replaced the bulbs and took out the water. But now i cant find where the water is seeping through. Oh well, maybe that way i can get some cool 2010 style tail lights! My engine bay will get a nice seafoam deep cleaning. Lol

8. 279E2A77

279E2A77 New Member