Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Autocross

Discussion in 'Racing Forum' started by Mustang71Lover, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Mustang71Lover

Mustang71Lover Fastest Kia in Arizona

Well I autocrossed today and did fairly well. I got a 63.898 on the track (I had a 66.1 going in the opposite direction). This was my last race in NV3 and got 4th out of 9 people in my class. The only thing that sucked was that the guy that won, only got a 63.623. I'm in the street prepared class, but some guy who has the same mods as me is in G-stock. If I only was still considered G-stock, my PAX would of beaten their times.
    On a happy note, my girlfriend placed 1st in novice ladies for the second event in a row, she's standing in 1st place right now for that class and holds a commanding lead. She's going to race the next autocross (next month) and see if she can better her times even more. It's a three event series and they only use your best two events.

2. greatsave9

greatsave9 Well-Known Member

Usually guys with Vettes and roadsters come and tear those AutoXs apart for easy victories but good job.

3. Zim

Zim The Coors Knight

ive seen miatas wax vettes on the autocross track. It doesnt matter if youve got 400 hp.. comin out of a turn you cant put that all on the pavement otherwise youre gonna whip the back end out and hit cones. I autocross my car... vettes dont scare me, vipers dont scare me, but cobras and miatas do. Its really all about the driver, not about how fast your car is.

4. Mustang71Lover

Our best car/driver is Tage Evanson's Acura Integra. The car is probably the most well tuned car I've ever seen as well as Tage being a great driver. I think he's nationally ranked or something like that. But ya, I beat Mustang GTs and 5.0s all the time in my 17second car, it's mostly about driver and suspension. Of course, a little power always helps to make up for a lack of skill here and there. ;)

5. Aerosi665

Aerosi665 Beware of Imitators!

I was the some guy :lol: that raced at the auto X today with Mustang17Lover, it was my first time autocrossing and I pulled off an awesome 70.3xx. :uhh: Oh well it was my first time and I had a fantastic time just being there. I was in the stock bracket im sure because I thats what I put on the form and they didnt check :D . Well next time I'll get my ass handed to me even more when I'm in the right class!

6. mason

mason New Member

Sometimes your car works better in a slower class. G stock allows some modifications. Get a set of the rules & build your car to the rules. Doesn't mean your time will be slower.

7. PhantAZN

PhantAZN Taste The AZN

autocross : 90% driver, 10% car.

8. mason

mason New Member

Autocross matches relatively even cars in classes from stock to highly modified. Being competitive means a very good car & lots of tracktime. FunRuns.

9. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

I disagree. I'd put it at 50/50.

Vette's and Vipers are not great autocross machines due to sheer size. they're not small cars. Vipers in particular are incredibly wide. Most of these courses are tiny tight cone zones... there's just no room to use the power of a 500hp vette or viper.

Fastest car I've EVER seen an an autocross course was a tiny little Datsun 510. MAN that thing was amazing. It would have laid waste to ANY vette or viper out there. The car was set up perfectly, was incredibly light, and the driver had his **** together.

It requires incredible driving skill... but you still need the right car to be truly competitive. Mustangs can be fun but they'll never be serious contenders. I've seen someone run pretty good in a Z/06 vette, but he took second to a lowly miata. Other car I saw make a run that ran like a bat out of hell was an original Mini Cooper.

10. greatsave9

greatsave9 Well-Known Member

From wha I remember they had a national finals for AutoX.... the final 3 cars.... 3 z06s...

11. Zim

Zim The Coors Knight

z06's are well tuned cars as far as suspension goes... but vipers really just have too much power to be runnin around corners. There was a guy that was runnin a supercharged viper that put down 770 hp... he couldnt take that thing outta third otherwise hed be all over the track

12. Mustang71Lover

The Vette has had 50 years of suspension tuning not to mention 50 years of chassis refinement. They may not be as light as a Miata, but they are some of the best tuned suspensions you can buy for the price.

13. mason

mason New Member

National championship in Topeka, Kansas, SCCA & Tirerack.
    In Sept, about a week
    Multiple courses, multiple opportunities to run
    Different classes for stock cars based on potential ability
    Many classes for cars at different levels of preparation
    Men run against men; women against women
    Main competition for 6s are Mini Cooper S' & Celica GTs;
    no 6s seem to be running at National Level competition;
    Quick look at results: Stock car class in 03, looks like the Miatas were quicker than the Vettes but different classes; the fastest Vette was a lady driver.
    Courses are very fast.

14. 6gofast

6gofast New Member

If you all thing vipers and vets are too big to be good at auto-x, you haven't seen anything until you've seen a Caprice 9C1 run an auto-x course :lol: :lol: :crazy:

15. mason

mason New Member

Think a special regional limited class for Class A Motorhomes.
    A little understeer
    A little crackery of the crockery
    A little overnight stop on the way to the checkered flag

16. 6gofast

6gofast New Member

Think private clup setup with one "run what you brung" open class. Think every thing from wrxs and specialty cars w/ gumball tires to mustangs (mine) to civics, to VWs and other inports, to Caprices, full sized trucks and even a lifted jeep. It got interesting when he got on 2 wheels. :eek:

No prizes, just bragging rights and grudge matches. Fastest mofo through the pylons wins. Electonically timed and free to all students at the university :cool:

It gets wild, I wish I had digital video equipment. :cool: :(

17. RedPony

RedPony Well-Known Member

That may be true about a Viper, but a Corvette, especially the Z06s, are tuned for the AutoX and road courses. I could see where they wont do as well on a very tight couse against a Miata, but something like a more wide road couse, a Z06 should do excellent. They aren't exactly just straight line performers like Mustangs and Fbodies.

18. Revmaynard02

Revmaynard02 New Member

so you're saying a cobra is not just as capable of running a road course and competing with a Z06? The IRS in the cobra makes it a very well handling machine especially on road courses. Sure its fast in a straight line on the drag strip, but the suspension is a far better road course suspension than it is a drag setup. There are quite a few people who have 03 cobras for drag that have gone to the solid rear axle vs. the IRS. V6 mustangs make pretty good autox and road racing cars with a little work. Why? They're a few hundred lbs lighter in the nose than a V8 and just dropping it an inch and a half to two inches does wonders for the handling.

19. nikko

nikko Admin Emeritus Off Topic Moderator

Absolutely.
    The IRS in the cobra is a kludged together hunk of crap. Road racers and drag racers alike have been dropping that thing like a bad habit. Comparing an IRS cobra to a Z06 anything is an exercise in futility.
    But still pales in comparison to a well-sorted live-axle setup (think MM or griggs 3-link).
    I don't know that I'd call "replace entire suspension" a little work. Mustang suspensions (v6, v8, whatever) are horribly archaic.
    The weight difference between a GT and V6 is only about 200 pounds, and barely half of that is over the front wheels. Not a huge difference.
    What wonders are those? bumpsteer? bottoming out?

Now, don't get me wrong. The mustang is a decent ride at a decent price. But a handler it is not. I've spent hours upon hours and thousands of dollars on mustang suspension pieces and experimentation and the end result is that my WRX on H-rated mud and snow tires could basically romp it. A real set of wheels and tires would put the final nail in the coffin.

You just can't expect miracles when you're working with a chassis that has been largely unchanged since the Carter administration.

20. Zim

Zim The Coors Knight

one thing ive noticed autocrossing my mustang is that our cars like to push out a lot meaning hardcore understeer. That could be due to my tires (theyre H rated with 45k miles on them) but i still feel like when i want to turn, my car never does. Dont get me wrong, going through the track a few times to learn the corners and figure out how to transfer the weight of the car through them helps out a lot... but our cars are just plain hard to drive through cones like that. I will say that C springs, STB, and mach 1 shocks/struts helped out a ton.

As for the whole IRS thing is crap... i dont really agree with that. Thers a guy running his cobra thats bone stock besides racing tires and that thing turns out the best times of anyone competition after competition. Its probably not as good as it could be, but it sure beats the solid rear like all our cars have.