Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

[B]Cat Converters for a 2000 Mustang 3.8l v6, manual.[/B]

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by grenet, Apr 10, 2009.

1. grenet

grenet New Member

Hi guys... I'm new in the 'stang world.. and the one I got just made me some troubles... I just change the headers and the manifolds... but the one on the passenger side turns oven red from just minutes I start the engine. By the way, I made a full change of pistons and everything. Kind of rebuild the engine part by part (sorry if my english is not that good)... the question is.. The guys at the shop told me that the catalytic converter must be ***cked up (that's why the manifold turns red)... so I have to replace them. and he suggest to replace the whole kit (left and right side and the y-shaped tube) oh.. my 'stang is 120.000 miles. now, I asked in the Ford dealer here in Durham, NC (here's where i am), and they sell the part for $1.800. :eek: that's too much right now for my budget, and I have asked in some auto parts for the same piece and they charged between $450 - $800... nut the guy at the shop told me that those wont fit in my car. I just dont know what to do. since I know i cant get the dealer one.

HOPE some of you can help me with this.. or better if anyone has a whole kit for sale!!!... thanks a lot you guys..

2. mkc1969

mkc1969 New Member

well if the guy is sure the cats are toast, all you really need to do is get a complete exhaust kit from somewhere online (aka jegs, summit, american racing ect. ect.) and you can find kits that will turn your car into a dual exhaust setup for probably less that 800. just do some internet shopping and see what you can find.

what kind of headers did you put on? are they long tubes? if so, it will be easiest to buy a kit from the same makers of ur headers.

OR you can probably just buy some new cats from somewhere and just go to a exhaust shop and tell them to rig you up something nice. any decent exhaust shop can do this kind of work for your car at a reasonable price. if the shop tells you it cant be done, go somewhere else. mustangs are built to have a dual exhaust set-up, so why do you think 99% of the people on here have it? if the shop says it wont work/cant be done, they are full of ****... lol

3. grenet

grenet New Member

Thanks for the advice.. I'll do that cause the guys at the shop just stop thinking,.I guess...:D

4. mkc1969

mkc1969 New Member

eh, its their way of being lazy....or trying to get more money from you. just shop around... you will find something you like for cheap :)