Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

[B]Changing to shiftronics, need info[/B]

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Nepok, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Nepok

Nepok Blue Nepok Stang

Can u turn an auto into a fliptronic or triptronic, or whatever is called?? i dunno how its called in english, im talking about the shifter that u throw shifts up or down or side to side, i ned info about that; u can have with clutch and without clutch, right?? and is it cheaper to change an auto or a manual to fliptronic? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. teenv6

teenv6 New Member

It's probably more cheaper if you change it from auto to a manual, than from a auto to a shifttronics tranny. They are cool to drive, I know I drove on before. But I don't think they are available for mustangs :uhh:

3. Nepok

Nepok Blue Nepok Stang

but how much would it cost from manual to shiftronics??

4. teenv6

teenv6 New Member

That's a question that I can't answer. I've never seen a ford with that transmission.

5. 3.8MustangSteve

3.8MustangSteve Secretary of Defense

6. 3.8MustangSteve

Moving this to Drivetrain. Next time you start a thread be more specific with the title.

7. Nepok

Nepok Blue Nepok Stang

what?? what u talking about?? im specific, it doesnt matter the car, just wanna know how much it costs for a manual car change to shiftronics and for an auto to change to shiftronics

8. 3.8MustangSteve

Your thread title "I have a question" is extremely vague. Something like, "Automatic to Tiptronic?" would be more suitable.

9. teenv6

teenv6 New Member

I don't know the exact price, but I'm sure that's the most expensive mod you could do, cause you are getting the best of the both worlds with having a stick and an auto in the grip of your hands

10. 3.8MustangSteve

You'd still have the drivetrain loss of an auto.

11. teenv6

teenv6 New Member

How you figure? It's the same thing as an auto. But you just have the option to use it like a stick, but without the clutch. I drove one in the new Hyundai Tiburon's. And it was awesome, really sold me over with this option. But I didn't get it though :cry:

12. Nepok

Nepok Blue Nepok Stang

cant anyone answer?? i have seen members with transmission T5-fliptronic.
    what the hell is it?? is that what im talking bout?

13. matt'sdrag95

matt'sdrag95 Moderator

to the best of my knowledge, there's no such thing for fords. they don't exist, you'll never get one, nor will you ever be able to mate one to your engine. there CERTAINLY is no t-5 fliptronic. those trannies are in NO way manuals, nor do they share anything in common with a manual tranny.

all it is is a plain auto that allows you to control when it shifts..it in no way acts like a standard in it's function or parasidic loss.. you can do exactly what a fliptronic does by shifting from 1 to 2 to D on your auto, and if you buy a shift kit it will do it just as quick.

there's nothing special about those trannies..it's just a hype. they're not any stonger, nor are they better than what's in your car. it's a gimmic that makes people think it's the 'best of both worlds.' there's nothing different about it from the auto you already have except more moving shifters. it's not a manual, nor is it even close to being one without a clutch.

matt

14. 3.8 Madness

3.8 Madness New Member

^^^ its true, they are still based on torque convertors

15. Monkey

Monkey Knew a thing or two

the member Flipper has that in his profile. he has a T5 and his name is flipper, so hes being cute. he has a normal manual T5 tranny

16. matt'sdrag95

matt'sdrag95 Moderator

hahaha why do i find that goof hysterical!

matt

17. celticclown

celticclown New Member

the closest thing I've seen to anything like a triptronic was made by Art Carr. Flip switch setup that allowed a manual tranny to have a switch flipped so it drove like an auto. MMFF did a horsepower feature on it a good 8-9months ago. Maybe even further back then that.

18. supercriz

supercriz 1997 3.8L Mustang

the most similar thing to tiptronic i can think of on a mustang is buying the "b&m hammer shifter" and puttin that on your auto. it has a feature where you can "ratchet" it to shift up or down. to shift up, you push the knob forward, and to shift down, you pull it back, and it ratchets back in place.... (or so i've heard). you could also set it in drive and just drive normally. do a search on "b&m hammer shifter" to read more about it. it costs about $180 to $225 (i think) depending on where you find it. summitracing.com has it. but of course, remember, shifting this way isn't good for our stock auto transmissions so it'd probably be better to put a valve body shift kit before you start usin it... if any of my info is incorrect, someone correct me.

19. matt'sdrag95

matt'sdrag95 Moderator

that was a clutchless t-56 if i remember correctly..it used solenoids to shift because the driver was paralized from the waist down..but that's a manual, not an auto ;)

also, the B&M hammer shifter isn't much different from the stock shifter in terms of operation..you move it forward to move up a gear, move it back to go down a gear..

matt

20. supercriz

supercriz 1997 3.8L Mustang

in one of the b&m hammer shifter threads (too lazy to go find it right now, but just do a search), someone who had installed the hammer shifter in their car said that it "ratchets" up and down, basically just like the tiptronic. i'm not sure if it can hold a gear until u decide to shift it, but if it does, then it's basically the same thing as the tiptronic. but then again, i don't see how it could do that, since they didn't mention changing anything in the transmission to allow it to do that, so it probably doesn't. you're probably right, just like the stock shifter. anybody know for sure?