Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

bad coolant leak!!!

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by sidewaysstang05, Sep 17, 2009.

1. sidewaysstang05

sidewaysstang05 New Member

2005 mustang 4.0l v6 sohc. shelby gt350 replica. i have a coolant leak that seems to be coming from behind the water pump on the left side of the car (or right side if your looking at the engine bay) at first i thought it was the water pump and or the gasket. i replaced both and still i have had this leak. i have heard that it may be a crack on the lower thermostat housing BUT it seems that one thing in common that people have experienced with that issue is that the leak only occurs when the car is running... thats where i differ, on or off coolant pours from my engine. i also had thought that it could be the head gasket.... but i have not experienced smoke from the tail pipe and my oil seems to be just oil not a mix of coolant and royal purple... i have checked all the hoses and all of them seem to be in order. can anybody help me im STUMPED and this being my only car at the moment i need a fix

2. JeffSeb

JeffSeb Well-Known Member

woah, that sounds like a major problem. i wouldnt run it if its leaking coolant though, it would be horrible to overheat the engine.

my suggestion would be to get it towed to a shop.

sorry I couldnt be of more help

3. 97mustang3.8l

97mustang3.8l $500 DX Killa

if it leaks that bad it shouldnt be to hard to get under the car and find it.

4. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
  5. atlanticblue98

atlanticblue98 Bazinga!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2013
  6. sidewaysstang05

thanks for the reply guys. i put a new gasket on the water pump yesterday...the one i had gotten with the new pump was not good apparently. that stopped the leak for the most part while the car is off still slowly drips but not from the same area and not 100th of the amount it was with the bad gasket. i think it going to be the housing with the symptoms i am experiencing now but if any body else has this problem i found both upper and lower housings for about 50$$ on partsgalaxy.com. hopefully ill save a few people money. it looks like i made the mistake of jumping to conclusions and replacing the water pump before i found the leak for sure.... stupid me. but thx again guys ill defiantly be back next time i have a problem witch probibly wont be all that long knowing mustangs reputation ha ha

7. 4ohStang

4ohStang New Member

Interesting, I have had this drip for a week now! I going to take a better look at the thermostat housing.

Thanks!

8. sidewaysstang05

glad i can help another tip i can add is use needle nose pliers when taking the sensor off the housing i just pulled it off with a screwdriver he damn thing shot out and got lost. ford wants 7 bucks for basically a paper clip luckily i found it the next day when i had more light but be careful. good luck my friend