Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Blew my engine! Thinking of a swap.

Discussion in 'Mustang Talk' started by ProjectVicky, May 20, 2013.

1. ProjectVicky

ProjectVicky Wrench Monkey

2. ProjectVicky

Okay, new question: If I buy a 99+ engine WITH the transmission, will that allow me to skip buying a flywheel to fit the 99 engine to a 98 transmission? Also, is a 99+ transmission a direct fit to the 94-98 body style?

3. greensteeda

greensteeda Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!

Yes, the transmissions are the same. If you got a trans bolted to an engine from a 99+ car you can leave the flywheel in there.

4. ProjectVicky

Good to know. I saved a little more money for the trans since mine has 200k miles on it anyway. I found a reputable junkyard (can't believe I'm saying that in the same sentence) and I'll have an engine as soon as I can find a relative with a truck. I'm just going to grab a 99+ 3.8 and modify it AFTER I have it running. . . I'm having "cool car" withdrawals. . . I hate driving my wife's "jellybean" car.

5. ProjectVicky

Sooo. . . it's been awhile. Here is what has happened since I last touched my car. . . it's a lot. . .
    I HAD to have a cool car that ran. So, still being young and naive, rather than fixing my Mustang (after the engine broke down on the way back from mine and my wife's honeymoon) I bought an 1982 El Camino from a guy (let's just name him "The Jerk") on craigslist. It did run when I test drove it, but not knowing what I know now, I bought the car anyway because I was desperate for a running car. Paid $1900 (way too much for what I ended up with), and The Jerk apparently left a majority of the wires on the exhaust, thus burning in half after 20 mins of driving. So I towed the car to my parent's house, and my dad helped me evaluate the car. This was followed by many I-told-you-so's.
    Here we go . . . the headers were two different diameters, half the rods were bent (one bent like a Z), one rod went through a rocker, another broke a rocker in half, the fuel line was rubbing on a accessory wheel and was so thin I could indent it with my finger, the bottom of the exhaust was smashed in from "jumping" the car, the radiator was half JB weld, the front control arms were on the wrong sides, half the transmission bolts were stripped, the rear shocks were mounted wrong thus causing the bolt holding them to wear in half (I'm not exaggerating) and the shocks fell off in my hands, the rear drum brakes were not changed since the factory (we found a factory marking that would have been smudged off if they were ever changed) and were so bad, the brackets holding the brake pads wore diagonally in half, the rest of the components were mostly rust dust, and best of all, the block had a crack in the valley. . . of course we didn't find all this out at the same time. It seemed like every part we replaced, we found another part that was unacceptable, making me hate craigslist more and more.
    I essentially ended up with two vehicles that did not run. Because I wanted to prove to my dad that I didn't make a mistake by buying the El Camino, I fixed the Elco first. . . . mostly out of pride. . . . okay, I really wanted to prove my dad that I wasn't wrong.
    It is about 85% new parts (including engine, trans, suspension, brakes, about everything but the body, paint, and glass). I spent every night after work fixing that car for 9 months straight. When I finally got it to drive, I spent many more nights fixing what was left. Outside on my dad's lawn, in the rain, Texas heat, and a few times in the snow. I fought the car, and the car fought me, so much so that we named it "Khan the El Camino" after the "Wrath of Khan."
    Sometime between then and now, my wife and I had our first kid, we've been focused on getting a house, and I recently finished the Elco.
    I finally got to the back of my garage, and uncovered my Mustang. It still has sea shells on the floorboards from the honeymoon. . . . And I find myself hell bent on driving it again. However, our budget is the same as before, only I have the know-how to do it with confidence. So, I will be trying to get the car to run again and I plan to spend $500 total to do so. It won't look pretty, but it will drive again.

6. ProjectVicky

With that being said, my goal is to get a junkyard 3.8 from a 1999 to 2000 engine for about $350 (they are externally balanced like the 1998), modify the fuel rails to fit the return-style in my 1998, eventually port and polish the heads and lower intake, get an upper intake from a 96-98 Windstar van, install a set of ceramic coated long tube headers (with EGR) I've had forever, and new exhaust (h-pipe, mandrel bent, super 44s, I'm thinking 2.5 inch tubing), and aluminum driveshaft. I may mess with the gears a little and the torque converter. My goal is to have a more powerful and much more efficient car than a stock 98.

7. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Congratulations for your first kid and new home!

You might want to check out fuel rails on other vehicles with either 3.8 or 4.2. IIRC you can get a factory rail for a return fuel system. Swap it on your jy motor before checking out.