Boca Raton, FL or surrounding areas of that city...

FergusonRed6er

Call me Bruno
Broward is nice, Weston is very nice, Davie is very nice. Ft. Lauderdale, not so much. I personally highly dislike living in south Florida because of the disrespectful hispanic population and the fact spanish is by far the #1 language spoken. (I lived in Miami for 10 years)

Gcrop

Grit and Grind
Broward is nice, Weston is very nice, Davie is very nice. Ft. Lauderdale, not so much. I personally highly dislike living in south Florida because of the disrespectful hispanic population and the fact spanish is by far the #1 language spoken. (I lived in Miami for 10 years)
Funny you say that, I always insist on going at least as far south as Tampa/Orlando/Cocoa Beach for vacations now because I just like south Florida better. Anything south of I-4.

Zues

Go Green! Go White!
It was 1984-1993 so a lot has changed and CS is MUCH bigger (more populated) than when I left form what I hear. I (my family) left just because Dad took a promotion that put us back in Memphis where all of the extended family is. As a kid, I loved CS. Literally rode my bike all over that town/city. The weather was nice (ocean breeze so not too hot/humid) but I prefer some seasons. Not sure how the real estate in CS relates to the surrounding towns though. School system was very good at the time (if that is a concern for you). PLENTY to do as well. 3 hours from Orlando, 3 hours from Key West, 30 minutes from Deerfield Beach. There is a lot to do between Orlando and the Keys. Sanibel and Marco Island (Gulf side of Florida, directly across) were common trips we made.

Coral Springs, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's a concern for sure, but not quite important right now; good to know though! The fact that there are cities that close to Broward with lot's to do is what really is attracting me to FL, as well as the weather. As soon as it gets cold here everyone just stays inside ~8/12 months. I just checked the average weather for CS every month and it's perfect. Anything that you didn't like about living in FL?

I'm hoping that the whole "southern hospitality" thing is true. Spanish, as previously said, is no biggie for me as I speak it fluently.

Gcrop

Grit and Grind
That's a concern for sure, but not quite important right now; good to know though! The fact that there are cities that close to Broward with lot's to do is what really is attracting me to FL, as well as the weather. As soon as it gets cold here everyone just stays inside ~8/12 months. I just checked the average weather for CS every month and it's perfect. Anything that you didn't like about living in FL?

I'm hoping that the whole "southern hospitality" thing is true. Spanish, as previously said, is no biggie for me as I speak it fluently.
I can't really speak on the financial side of things (pros or cons) as I was too young to really know any better. If you are sick of the seasons, then that would be a pro for you. I like my seasons though. Another con would be like Ferguson said. If you are expecting "southern hospitality", it doesn't go much further south of the Florida-Georgia border, let alone south Florida. Not say all people are assholes though. I got burned out on the beach so I can take it or leave it at this point in my life. Hands down the biggest plus for me is the availability of things to do within a 3 hour road trip. As a kid I loved the weather because everyone had a pool (us included) and on Christmas morning you can go ride your new bike, play with the new RC car or whatever outdoor activity you want. That is another reason I have been all over CS on my bike.

Zues

Go Green! Go White!
It rains kinda whenever, hurricanes, hot humid summers, old people, alligators.

that's the truth.

Speaking of hurricanes, and considering that Broward is on the east coast, (dumb question but) should I be worried every time there is a hurricane? I'd hate to rebuild my home after I just rebuilt it a month ago. I've never been through a hurricane obviously, but how do you guys manage? Or is it something that doesn't happen (talking about rebuilding here) that often and it really is just small things that need to be fixed?

Nvacca

Speaking of hurricanes, and considering that Broward is on the east coast, (dumb question but) should I be worried every time there is a hurricane? I'd hate to rebuild my home after I just rebuilt it a month ago. I've never been through a hurricane obviously, but how do you guys manage? Or is it something that doesn't happen (talking about rebuilding here) that often and it really is just small things that need to be fixed?
I lived in Broward from 96-2007, It was great to grow up in but we lived in a very "stepford" area (Weston). Like ferguson said the spanish inhospitality is ridiculous. It used to be contained to southern Miami but every time I go back to visit my folks it seems to spread more north. Speaking fluent spanish will help but if you don't look clearly of spanish decent you'll be treated like dirt. Honestly though Northern Ft. Lauderdale is still very nice, my sister just bought a house in Tamarac and its a great area. As far as Broward and hurricanes, i don't remember exactly what it is but the major part of the storms miss broward because of some current. Katrina still ****ed us up good). As long as your house is built after 95 it has to be up to Florida's new building codes. Foundations incredibly strong and deep, most houses built of block and not wood, outward opening doors.

FergusonRed6er

Call me Bruno
Most you'll ever have to rebuild in a newer home in south florida will be your wooden fence and some missing roofing tiles. The houses are made for hurricanes.

Gcrop

Grit and Grind
Andrew didn't hit too far away and all we did was throw all patio furniture in the pool and tape up the windows. Didn't even board it up. Did lose a gigantic tree out front though.

Zues

Go Green! Go White!
I lived in Broward from 96-2007, It was great to grow up in but we lived in a very "stepford" area (Weston). Like ferguson said the spanish inhospitality is ridiculous. It used to be contained to southern Miami but every time I go back to visit my folks it seems to spread more north. Speaking fluent spanish will help but if you don't look clearly of spanish decent you'll be treated like dirt. Honestly though Northern Ft. Lauderdale is still very nice, my sister just bought a house in Tamarac and its a great area. As far as Broward and hurricanes, i don't remember exactly what it is but the major part of the storms miss broward because of some current. Katrina still ****ed us up good). As long as your house is built after 95 it has to be up to Florida's new building codes. Foundations incredibly strong and deep, most houses built of block and not wood, outward opening doors.

I'm hoping the real estate down there isn't too pricy. I'll be looking at some apartments for now and see what I can find around the areas mentioned here. I appreciate all the good information fellas. :thumbup: Last question though, any areas in Broward to avoid in terms of living?

Jeff

Florida Man
pretty much what everyone has said. Hurricanes aren't too bad to deal with. Granted I lived in the panhandle most my life.