Bought a new car. Bought a GOOD car. Story time kids!

Duke

God
Well, I really lucked out this summer with my internship. I am making pretty nice money, I'm close so I can stay at home for now, and I can take classes at night so I can still pull 40 hours while gaining valuable experience for my resume, as well as working with some incredibly smart people (some who are top in their fields). I was also fortunate enough to get my internship extended indefinitely.

Well, I've been driving the Mustang all summer. I'm putting about 50-60 miles a day so it's been getting it's use. Unfortunately the car is starting to show it's age.

June - Blew rear brake line on way to work in rush hour traffic
July - CEL light for some BS emissions thing
July - CEL light for some other BS thing
August - Radiator replaced
August - Radiator fan replaced
Sept. - OTHER rear brake line blows
Now the car doesn't want to start well. It starts, but takes like 10 seconds.
Clutch cable tensions starts to vary in traffic now too
November - Caliper seal blows. No brakes for the 3rd time
November - Valve stem is leaking causing a flat in traffic while in Cleveland. Able to limp it to the parking garage and change tires in parking garage
Dec - Oil pressure reading a tad high.

The car has body damage and the trunk is rusting to the point where there is a gap under the cloth.

So, back in the summer I was toying with the idea of grabbing a WRX. AWD, turbo, fun and somewhat light, and mod-able. Problem is the ****ers are like 14K for one with 80K miles. Not to mention it's easy to **** them up with mods. So after looking around I thought of a MS6. After reading about them, they're out. About August I am able to extend my internship so I keep working. Forward to about November and I now have some good cash for a car. Toying between a beater Jeep and a sports car for summer, but then I found an STi for sale. I had the money and decided to ask the guy for more info. Thanksgiving night I arrange to meet the upcoming Saturday. One problem. I'm in Cleveland. He's in PA in the lower eastern most part of the state. 6 hours, 350 miles away. My dad says "Let's go look at it". So we leave at 8am, get there at 2pm, and by 3pm I give the guy a deposit and head home. I'm heading back this weekend to pickup the car, and then meeting him in Pittsburgh to sign for the title next week.

2004 WRX STi. World Rally Blue and 67K miles. COMPLETELY stock. Down to the paper filter and heat shield. Brembos are Gold with the red lettering so it hasn't browned from track heat. Interior is great, no rust in trunk (or anywhere really), the front has ZERO rock chips, and it has some goodies. All the OEM parts were installed at the local dealer.

OEM SPT boost gauge
OEM radio (2004s didn't come with a radio from Subaru)
OEM rear view mirror with temp and digital compass
OEM bugshield
V-limited front lip replica
OEM STi Shifter Bezel
nly issues are a fender repainted at 2K miles (parking lot tap, but it's an OEM Subaru fender), the rear struts make a bit of noise (known subaru issue) and a rattling noise over the left shoulder while driving (window?).

Look at how clean this thing is. I don't think it's ever seen a winter.

I haven't even picked the car up yet and I'm already buying mods for it. I'm planning on picking up this barely used (500 miles) ARC icebox, and eventually the Zerosports intake pipe (need a tune for the intake pipe).

I've also got a lead on Prodrive Springs and a company makes a nice SS cat-back for cheap that's getting rave reviews. :lol::thumbup:

Zach

Blank.
I live in the easternmost part of pa. If you don't mind me asking where is it? I can go take a look for you if you are really insterested to save you the initial drive if you want.

Edit. Nvm see you already came out. Should have read closer

kobudo

Cool, STis are fun little cars. Most owners beat the **** out of them though, even stock ones. I'm training with a Subaru tech right now, and I've seen a decent handful of them... Did you test drive it? If so, how was the clutch? A lot of owners seem to like to burn those up. Had one on Tuesday, the guy gouged the piss out of the flywheel, and the clutch disc was frozen to it when we pulled everything apart.

Duke

God
Cool, STis are fun little cars. Most owners beat the **** out of them though, even stock ones. I'm training with a Subaru tech right now, and I've seen a decent handful of them... Did you test drive it? If so, how was the clutch? A lot of owners seem to like to burn those up. Had one on Tuesday, the guy gouged the piss out of the flywheel, and the clutch disc was frozen to it when we pulled everything apart.

Clutch is fine. Getting used to the hydraulic clutch. I had the famous subaru CLUNK while high-rpm shifting. WOT in 1st and when I went to throw in the clutch I did it too fast and had a nice clunk from the driveline. Last time I do that :lol: You can't shift this thing as fast as the Mustang.

OMG this car is farst though. 6th on the highway is faster than the Mustang in 3rd :drool:

Hey Kobudo, how do I know if I have a factory STi short shifter. I heard if you have a chrome ring for the lockout that it's the STi short shifter, not just the regular shifter for the 6-speed. Otherwise the stock shifter is prett short. Needs some bushings for lateral movement though (Kartboy!)

kobudo

Clutch is fine. Getting used to the hydraulic clutch. I had the famous subaru CLUNK while high-rpm shifting. WOT in 1st and when I went to throw in the clutch I did it too fast and had a nice clunk from the driveline. Last time I do that :lol: You can't shift this thing as fast as the Mustang.

OMG this car is farst though. 6th on the highway is faster than the Mustang in 3rd :drool:

Glad to hear it. I am considering a good used WRX (maybe STi) for myself once the 'stang no longer works for me. I'm hoping that will be a long time in the future, though. The only other tech thing I would recommend that hasn't been mentioned is to replace -- or at least check the condition of -- the timing belt (I'm pretty sure your year/engine has a belt and not a chain, anyway) at about 80k miles. It's pretty easy to do on the Subies.

Duke

God
Glad to hear it. I am considering a good used WRX (maybe STi) for myself once the 'stang no longer works for me. I'm hoping that will be a long time in the future, though. The only other tech thing I would recommend that hasn't been mentioned is to replace -- or at least check the condition of -- the timing belt (I'm pretty sure your year/engine has a belt and not a chain, anyway) at about 80k miles. It's pretty easy to do on the Subies.

The tranny takes a lot of getting used to. I'm so used to quickshifting the T-5, you really have to be gentle when shifting the STi. You just have to slow down your clutch in/out. Going fast is not good :lol:.

The problem I ran into was a WRX with more miles was the same price as a lower mileage STi. There was like no point in getting the WRX, and even if the insurance was higher, the car had more to offer stock. It made more sense to go straight to the STi.

1998232v6

2004 Silver Cobra
Congrats, my brother in law has a 2004 forester XT 5spd and it hauls...
So I can imagine that yours will be even faster.