Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Brake pads

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Arthur, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Arthur

Arthur New Member

I need to find brake pads that don't mess up my wheels so bad that you don't know if there clear coated alum or painted black. The ones on my 03 are filthy all the time. I don't think they are the original and want to change them out but am not sure which ones to buy. Any ideas?

2. Serpent

Serpent Active Member

lots of choices out there. some will depend on your budget.

3. 08'MustangDude

08'MustangDude Active Member

Brake dust is actually a combination fibers from the pads, metal from the rotors,
    and adhesives generated as the brake pads press against the rotors. There’s no
    way to eliminate brake dust entirely, because brake pads are designed
    to wear, as they chew up the rotors.

Organic pads have the least dust, but the least stopping power when the rotors
    heat up. Most commonly used for reduced dust is Ceramics, but there are so
    many different levels. There is a ceramic/organic pad too, a step up from just
    organic. Any pad with the word "metallic" in it, will produce the most dust from
    the pad, AND the rotor.

You can go with an organic inner pad for better bite, and a ceramic outer pad.

4. Sam36

Sam36 Active Member

Ford OEM pads are made by motorcraft, however the OEM pads are about 1/8" thicker (ie. not much). And yet another however... I don't think Ford has had any OEM pads in stock for a few years now and normally going to the dealer and asking for pads ends up with you paying extra just to receive motocraft pads... BUT either way, motorcraft or OEM are nearly 'dustless'. Haven't washed my car in 2 years and the rims are probably the cleanest thing on it.

If you don't go oem/motorcraft, be careful if you get fancy ceramic ones. We had a truck roll into our shop once for "brake noise". The fancy ceramic pads he was running were harder than the steel rotors, so the rotor was wearing down instead of the pad, he was not happy...