Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Break in period

Discussion in '1994-2004 V6 Mustang Tech' started by StangDriver5650, Aug 28, 2002.

1. StangDriver5650

StangDriver5650 ERJ Driver

I got mine brand new with 15 miles on it. I think I was pretty rough with it during it's break in period. I never really gave it a thought not to drive it all out at first. What kind of damage may I have done to the engines internals ?

2. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

I'd say your engine is trash. Time for a rebuild already. Why did you do that? Your rings are shot. The main bearings are all scarred. You're lucky it runs.

Nah, it should be alright if you're not having any problems right now. The above problems COULD happen though in a "worst case" scenario.

3. Mustang

Mustang XBox designer

Nice one, KT :D You probably gave him a heart attack

You should pamper your engine for about 500 (definitely below 3000rpm), and try not to go WOT until you hit 2000 miles. Your engine will thank you for it in the long run.

4. StangDriver5650

StangDriver5650 ERJ Driver

LOL thanks KT! :p I don't think I was too bad on it but I defenitly didn't break it in properly. It runs fine now but I probably took a good amount of life off of the engine. Damn kids! hehe

5. Y2kStang

Y2kStang Girl With Guns

I could understand if you had a V8 you really don't wanna screw them up....

6. tbennett

tbennett Perkin Right Now...

nah, you need to let the engine warm up before you drive, that aluminum and steel expandes slightly as it heats up, clearances change, plus the oil needs to get circulating..if you listen you'll hear a lot of valvetrain chatter when you first start that goes away after about 30-45sec. at idle....about the break-in period, I don't buy that either....most new parts usually only need a few operating temp. to cool down cycles to "settle in"...

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Stinkin' Factory Worker

I asked my dealer about a break-in period ( no mention of one in the owners manual.) They said run it, don't worry about a break-in, no need to baby it.

So I hopped back in the car, started it up, turned off the traction control and .........

8. tbennett

tbennett Perkin Right Now...

agreed....I think most people give it a few seconds while they get situated anyway...

9. KTBug

KTBug - Kris -

I just crank it and wait for the wannabe oil pressure gauge to come up. After that you're fine.

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Stinkin' Factory Worker

Yeah-

I notice that my 2003 V6 ( bone stock ) on startup will rev a bit higher than Idle for about 5 seconds and then settle down to idle. I use this time, plus another 5 or so seconds, to put on the seatbelt, adjust the radio, fiddle with the lights/wipers/whatever.
    After about 15 seconds it is a slow crawl out the driveway, and a leisurely cruise in 2nd gear down to the stop sign on the corner ( lots of kids in the neighborhood/ respect my neighbors). After that I AM READY TO ROCK !!!

Dave

11. Justang

Justang ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ-ɹǝdns

oh yeah, our V6's aren't worth it huh?
    somebody got a little too big for her britches.