cam synchronizer/sensor

graysmurf

Anyone with a 99 or newer mustang 3.8 ever install one of these without the special aligning too? Ive searched all over but the previous post on this site are on 98 and older 3.8's. As you guys probably know the synchronizer sits underneath the camshaft position sensor and it has a circular inner peice that rotates. That piece has one tooth on it and i just need to figure out which way it should point with the engine at TDC. Or if someone has installed this piece using the tool, do u recall which way the tooth pointed after it was aligned with the tool. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Miguel

graysmurf

anyone?? does anyone know where i can buy this tool or does anyone have one that they would like to sell? I cant seem to find it anywhere local. tried autozone , checker, and the ford dealership and they all said they didnt carry it. I dont know why ford would require a special alignment tool for their camshaft synchros and then not carry them. Even the ford manual says to use this tool #303-630 but they dont carry it themselves. i really hate ford and all their special tools.

mheath

you have to get the engine EXACLTLY at TDC (if you have a harmonic balancer with markings it is easier, then set the tooth so it has just cleared the opening, i made a drawing below.....

Attachments

mheath

yeah that should get you pretty close to dead on....if you want it perfect get the ford tool

rlt

Would anybody be able to post the equivalent of mheath's drawing (above) for a 1995 engine, so that I can align mine correctly?

I was looking forward to putting my car back together today, but couldn't get my alignment tool and CPS housing to fit together. Now that I have read the small print, I realise this is because I have ordered the tool for 96-98 engines.

If I can't get a picture to work from, does anybody know where I can get the right alignment tool for my car?

Thanks

rlt

Silentst2000

Would anybody be able to post the equivalent of mheath's drawing (above) for a 1995 engine, so that I can align mine correctly?

I was looking forward to putting my car back together today, but couldn't get my alignment tool and CPS housing to fit together. Now that I have read the small print, I realise this is because I have ordered the tool for 96-98 engines.

If I can't get a picture to work from, does anybody know where I can get the right alignment tool for my car?

Thanks

rlt
OTC sells them for 94-95 mustangs.

taylor0987

Thanks

rlt
I posted a diagram for you in this thread: http://www.v6mustang.com/threads/198083/

that is directly from the 1995 Ford factory service manual.

edit: all the tool does is keep the guts of the synchronizer aligned so the half-moon shape is where it shows in the diagram. the arrow points to where the notch is in the synchronizer and where the connector for the CPS ends up.

Last edited by a moderator:

rlt

I never realised that the arc on the top of the tool corresponded to the arc of the rotating assembly inside the housing! Back to business then.....

Thanks Taylor!

rlt

Anyone with a 99 or newer mustang 3.8 ever install one of these without the special aligning too? Ive searched all over but the previous post on this site are on 98 and older 3.8's. As you guys probably know the synchronizer sits underneath the camshaft position sensor and it has a circular inner peice that rotates. That piece has one tooth on it and i just need to figure out which way it should point with the engine at TDC. Or if someone has installed this piece using the tool, do u recall which way the tooth pointed after it was aligned with the tool. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Miguel
I had my 99 Mustang 3.8 rebuilt, service engine light on, running a bit off intermittently - replaced camshaft sensor, made it run much better - then occasionally service engine light would blink and it would run terribly (misfire) - mechanic insisted take it to an electrical shop to check wiring and ECM, wiring good, replaced ECM with a Cordone rebulit unit just to be safe. Electrical shop insists problem is sychronizer, which mechanic said rarely fails - though when OReilly auto pulled the codes, it states after camshaft, sychronizer is next thing that is usually the cause. Thoughts on this?

Sam36

Did they give you the exact trouble code that was showing? As far as I know, the cam sychronizer is only used during engine start to determine when piston #1 gets to TDC. Usually "random" misfiring and running bad is due to a bad coil pack. The stock one goes out like clockwork right at 200k miles.

Irish41

Does anyone know where I stick the 5/16 hex bit to prime the oil pump on a 1997 Mustang 3.8liter, and how to properly sychronize the camshaft sensor shaft with he special tool given with the part. Also do you have to take out the cam sychronizer to prime the oil pump? And do you have to prime it with a drill if you fill the oil pump with vasoline? Im new at this but dont wanna screw it up first time!!

6 Shooter

The hex bit has to be welded on the end of a steel rod about 10" in length. Then, it is inserted in the same hole as the cam shaft synchronizer and turned clockwise using a drill. The motor must have the spark plugs removed and the #1 piston at the top of the cylinder on the compression stroke. The open slot in the cam shaft synchronizer housing should be open to the 4:30 o'clock position on the 99-2004 motors. Not sure on the '97 motor. On the 99-2004 motors, this open slot location can be rotated to the 7:30 o'clock position to shorten the distance between the sensor end and the wire harness connector to prevent wire stretching. Once you have the slot where you want it, the next step is to insert the sensor shaft into the housing and the vertical tab aligned with the center of the open slot. The shaft may have to be lifted up several times and rotated in either direction as necessary to end up with the tab centered in the open slow window. Once you think it is correct, best to rotate the motor a few revolutions to check the proper position. If all is good, insert the sensor cap, tighten the two small screws, and plug in the wire harness.