Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Cams with supercharger?

Discussion in '2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech' started by ericgio87, Jul 3, 2014.

1. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

Hello,I've been trying to do research on cams for the v6. I've only found supersixsports that makes them for our cars.

My question is, if I already have a supercharger would doing cams make a difference and/or be possible? If so what kind of number gains do you think I'd be looking at? Would other parts be recommended to upgrade/change as well ?

I got beat by a 350z the other day and want to find out beside a supercharger what other mods are out there that will net me decent power too.

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Could you please share what year and other mods your car has?

Were you at the strip?

3. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

Hey Phil,

So right now I have a 2008 v6.

Vortech V2 HO supercharger
    Ford racing dual exhaust
    3.73 gears
    Nitto Z rated tires w/bullet rims

I read somewhere that long tubes wouldn't fit with the dual exhaust from ford. So I was thinking the next best thing for decent power would be cams?

The guy at supersixmotorsports told me:

"
    Our 224/232 grind work great with a supercharger, adds power and the loping
    cam sound, the cams are priced at $675 for the left/right set, plus $125
    refundable core fee. You will need our valve spring and booster kit, $275.
    These cams must be correctly timed with a degree wheel during installation."

So I guess I'm left wondering

1. What kind of added power would I be looking at?
    2. How much do you think a professional install would cost?Maybe 1k for labor and custom tune/dyno?

Thanks

4. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

Oh I also have a 1.5inch drop lowering springs and eibach pro damper shocks and struts. New sway bar and adjustable pan hard bar. Also not at the strip.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  5. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

Mk. Two things up front.

I strongly recommend you do not street race or share anything that resembles it. So much can go wrong that is out of your control on public roads.

Secondly, I'm making do with the previous generation v6.

As to cams: you will gain power, but may cost you drive-ability. The key is improved average power, not just peak values.

It will cost a considerable amount to have it done for you. I'd expect labor costs to exceed $1000.

You could call your favorite shop and get a rough qoute. Most shops have a manual or program that includes estimated man-hours for various jobs.

Which Nittos are you using?

6. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

Disappointing. Definitely would still want drive-ability with any added power. :/

I don't usually street race at all. Didn't even mean for it to be. 4am we were the only ones on the highway. He came up kinda fast behind me (I was in middle lane) he switched to left then stayed right upfront of me on the left. I gunned it just to get him from being in a bad position next thing I knew he's gunning it...don't usually lol.

Anyways I have to find out what kind of Nittos try are. Came with the new wheels from American muscle.

7. Derfdog15

Derfdog15 Active Member

A cam will not necessarily hurt drive ability if you get a good tune. According to Tom Y at SSM as well as the guys that tune at Power by the Hour the drive ability of a built car lies in the tune, yes some components will be noticeable but if not tuned for a street driver it will be more noticeable. That is why a lot of people have a street tune and a race tune.

8. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

Ah I see. Hmm ill have to ping the guy I goto and see what he thinks.

9. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

So my auto guy said that the cost wouldn't really be worth it in his opinion. He said he hates the 4.0 ford engine lol.

I talked to the guy at supersixmotorsports though and he advised with a blower to upgrade to stage 3 heads and then cams. Due to the extensive cost on parts alone this project is currently on funding hold.

Thank you all for your advice/help with this.

10. ivanrad

ivanrad New Member

why does he hate the 4.0 engine all it needs is metal components

11. ericgio87

ericgio87 Member

Apparently some guy had a 4.0 engine in an explorer, they had to take it apart and it was this awful job for him. He thinks the money that you'd spend on a professional install for cams/heads outweighs the hp you'd get.

I went tons different shop and they said meth injection might get me close to the 350 mark (I'm at 285 now). And it's a lot cheaper. So I think I'll be going that route.

12. TonyDee

TonyDee Active Member

You will have a bit of trouble with surging (bucking ?) at throttle tip in. I believe that the signal to the MAF is noisy at low rpms, due to a lumpy cam. But it does sound great! Mine is the "B" grind, installed with stage 3 morona heads

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  13. DreadFox

DreadFox Member

I agree with your auto guy, regrinds wouldn't be worth the hassle or the money. Your stock heads and cams are plenty for the mild forced induction setup that you have. You'd pick up more horsepower and do it safely with either methanol injection or a small shot of nitrous, like a 50-75 shot. I'd do the methanol injection because it would be better in the long run and water/methanol jugs can be found at every gas station. The meth injection would allow you to add back in the timing you had to pull. The nitrous provide the same benefit of cooling down the charge air mix while adding more available oxygen. A 50hp dry shot before the MAF would be all you need. But you'd only realize those gains when you spray and you'd also have to have a nearby filling station. Also opening up any restrictions on the exhaust would help. If you can't run long tubes or don't want to spend money on revamping your entire exhaust system then electric cutouts would be your answer.