Camshaft Synchronizer Compatibility

fj1289

Swapping a 1997 F-150 4.2 into a 2000 Mustang (had a 3.8)

The cam sensor on the 2000 Mustang has the small plug with 2 pins. The cam synchronizer has a single tooth - maybe 1/6 of a circle.

The cam sensor on the 1997 F-150 has the larger plug with 3 pins. The cam synchronizer has a single half-circle tooth.

Does anyone know if the Mustang ECU will play nicely if I simply put the 2000 Mustang cam sensor on the 1997 F-150 cam synchronizer?

Thanks

Edit - I have more experience working with stand alone ECUs - most I’ve worked with have a pretty large “window” that is allowed for the cam signal. I have no experience with the Ford ECUs to understand how much tolerance they have for the cam signal.

Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver
Not Sure If You Have Corrected Any Problem You've Had But I Used A 4.2l In My 2000 V6 Mustang And Used The 3.8L
Cam Syncro The 2 Pin On Mine With No Problem, You Have The 3.8L ECU I'd Use The 3.8L Syncro Just Make Sure You Setup
Timing Marks And Make Sure Your On No.1 Firing TDC. Should Save Some Problems.

Attachments

fj1289

Thanks! Just got it running Sunday night.

I tried the 4.2 sync with 3.8 sensor, but had a coil pack giving me issues (that I didn’t know yet). Swapped in the 3.8 sync then discovered the coil pack issue. Turned the crank with a 21mm socket with #1 plug out. Used a finger to feel for the compression stroke beginning. Then used a screw driver in the hole to find TDC (or at least close to it with the piston dwell at the top). Then installed the cam sync a few times until I could rotate the housing to put the “tooth” in the center of the window and have the cam sensor lined up where I could attach the harness.

Started right up with the other coil pack. So I didn’t get A good test of the 4.2 sync in the 3.8 with the 3.8 sensor and ECU.

Finding the vacuum leak was the next hurdle ...

Thanks for the info! Confirms what I did

Captain Max Silver

Captain Max Silver
Vac. Leaks Can Be A Pain. Try Spaying Carb Cleaner Around Gaskets And Any Vac. Lines Listen For Change In Idle Speed
To Find Approximate Location Of Leak.