Can I remove my a/c compressor my self?

Tiffany97

I was just wonder if this is something we can do at our house or if this is something everyone leaves for a mechanic to do. Its starting to go my mechanic said and he suggested replacing it before it actually breaks. He said if I wait until it breaks than it sends little pieces of metal through my whole a/c system. Anyone have experience with replacing a compressor?

6w5

Truck2010
I did on my old truck and it was a literal nightmare and your mechanic is right mine actually got to that point and it was a b****. It ended up with myself and my buddy (a dealer mechanic) doing the work costing like $700.00. Because the compressor gave out while the A/C was on. It was ice cold then instantly hot as ****. Then it popped the condensor and evap (internally) crap got into the line when the compressor went bad. - The parts guy at the dealership said it was a typical GM thing (compressors generally only last 8 years. - like the broken exhaust manifold is for our cars.

I would take it to a dealer. Some of these other guys would probably have better info. The A/C is one of those things I hate messing with because you have to get the refrigerant out and it is an environmental issue you can't just let it out. The only reason I changed mine is one I was dead broke and two when it shot craps I lost all the refrigerant on the road. Then after I put it back together I took it to the dealer and they checked it for leaks (turns out I didn't have a connection tight enough) then they refilled it.

Tiffany97

I did on my old truck and it was a literal nightmare and your mechanic is right mine actually got to that point and it was a b****. It ended up with myself and my buddy (a dealer mechanic) doing the work costing like $700.00. Because the compressor gave out while the A/C was on. It was ice cold then instantly hot as ****. Then it popped the condensor and evap (internally) crap got into the line when the compressor went bad. - The parts guy at the dealership said it was a typical GM thing (compressors generally only last 8 years. - like the broken exhaust manifold is for our cars.

I would take it to a dealer. Some of these other guys would probably have better info. The A/C is one of those things I hate messing with because you have to get the refrigerant out and it is an environmental issue you can't just let it out. The only reason I changed mine is one I was dead broke and two when it shot craps I lost all the refrigerant on the road. Then after I put it back together I took it to the dealer and they checked it for leaks (turns out I didn't have a connection tight enough) then they refilled it.
Thanks for you input. You were very helpful. We have done all the rest of the work to my car but we might draw the line at a/c.

And I guess I should change it before it goes.:eek:

6w5

Truck2010
Yeah it was bad my buddy said he had only heard of one other vehicle he worked on that had done that. Mine unfortunately was number 2 I guess. Like I said when mine come apart on the inside it sent little pieces of itself through the system. It worked like this for like a few weeks I guess. (they said that they don't totally blow like this all at one time). So as it come apart the system was being clogged and trashed with s*** from the compressor clogging and breaking apart everything else. They also said it was from and improperly maintained system but it didn't happen till after I got it and amazingly it waited till exactly two weeks after the extended dealer warranty ran out.

Again I hope this helps and I hope you get yours fixed.

greensteeda

Retired Speed Racer Mod. Suck It!
You have to get a shop to evacuate the system but other than that it is a very simple job.