Welcome To V6Mustang.com!

We are the oldest and largest V6 Mustang forum on the internet. If you have any questions about your V6 Mustang or just want to connect with other V6 Mustang owners around the world, you have found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Can the 3.7L be adapted to EcoBoost?

Discussion in '2011-2014 V6 Mustang Tech' started by kjtatro, Apr 17, 2015.

1. kjtatro

kjtatro New Member

I have read the the 3.7L is basically a 3.5L bored out. That being said why can't I find ANY info about EcoBoost for the 3.7L? Can it even be done?

2. Phil II

Phil II Cone Destroyer Staff Member

What you're really asking is if anyone can turbocharge the 3.7. And yes, it can be done.

If you're idea is to use the oem 3.5 Eb setup on a 3.7 engine, I suspect that isn't worthwhile for the amount of money.

I have the 3.5 and 3.7 are closely related, but there are key difference. I suspect bolt patterns aren't totally interchangeable, etc.

Also worth noting that to get the 3.5 Eb parts will probably require a substantial amount of money.

3. jerrylcaldwell

jerrylcaldwell Member

I used the ecoboost exhaust manifolds on my twin turbo. They fit but I had to make some brackets to support the rear bolt location which is beyond the head. Those were the only ecoboost parts used. My build is posted in detail at 3.7 TWIN TURBO BUILD - Mustang Evolution .

4. Nice Pony

Nice Pony Member

The 3.7 is not just a bored out 3.5. The blocks are much different inside. The 3.5 has much more webbing and is thicker in key areas making it a much stronger block just to begin with. Anyone telling you the 3.7 is just a bored out 3.5 doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I personally talked to a couple of Ford engineers that were involved with designing both engines at SEMA a few years ago and they pointed these facts out on cutaway engines they had there at the show.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015