Can you put the mycolor gauges in a 05 that dident come with them?

HalfAcidic

Hoof Beats - Feel it.
just what the title says, its going to be a major determiner for my new car. Can you plug and play the mycolor gauges?

Flyboy 06

Hi, Im your pal Greg
It might be hard because you change the color with the 3 buttons on the upper left of the dash (info, reset, and something else). You may be able to put the dash itself in, but I dont know what you would have to do with programming.

HalfAcidic

Hoof Beats - Feel it.
1. upgraded gauges have thier own computer correct? all wiring needed for the two extra gauges is there along with all the extra wiring for the computer?

2. ford dident stop putting them in.. they just paused and had to pay that guy a lot of money before putting them back in

pdub42

1. upgraded gauges have thier own computer correct? all wiring needed for the two extra gauges is there along with all the extra wiring for the computer?

2. ford dident stop putting them in.. they just paused and had to pay that guy a lot of money before putting them back in
what happend to this guy? never heard about this before

HalfAcidic

Hoof Beats - Feel it.
i guess he had the mycolor gauge idea patented and then when ford used it and dident know he had it patented he sued. they resolved it i guess cause now the are back in production.

back to topic, i need to know!

pdub42

i guess he had the mycolor gauge idea patented and then when ford used it and dident know he had it patented he sued. they resolved it i guess cause now the are back in production.

ah i c thats interesting lol well sorry for hijackin the thread,
free bump

HalfAcidic

Hoof Beats - Feel it.
its aight just wanted to know. I decided im going to get an 01-04 mustang and make it into a stage 3 roush with venom :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

94stangV6

"Punch it!" I already am.

The guy actually pitched the idea to ford in sometime in 98/99 then sued ford when they put it in the mustangs. And as far as the MyColor dash you would probably have to put in a whole new dash if you want the brushed alluminum that goes with the package...but if you just put in the gauge cluster you would have to put in the 3 switches by the cig. lighter and probably run wiring for the 2 extra gauges. Here's a whole page about the MyColor dash and the lawsuit: http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/int.htm

HalfAcidic

Hoof Beats - Feel it.
Got the 05 even though I thought my chance was bleak. Im so happy now but I still want to put the mycolor gauges in!! :)

lnmech

yes u can out the my colour gages in.someone else did it on another board.
cost was like around 350 im thinking.
said it was a lot of work but i do not belive you have to change computer.
call ford parts and see about ordering.

Shadow Burner

2007 4.6L GT
Pulled this off another site; this is all the info that was there:

My Color Retrofit Instructions

A lot of us bought the deluxe model mustangs that come with the 4 gauge package. If you want to upgrade to the 6 gauge cluster with the my color feature here's the information...
First, pop the blank out of the dash over your radio to the left of the traction control switches and power outlet. Behind that blank should be a section of wiring harness that plugs into the blank even though there are no switches on the blank. If you don't have the harness and plug there forget it. You can't do the upgrade. I've heard that cars without traction control do not have the plug. I also heard that the newer your is the less chance you have of the plug being there because Ford stopped producing cars with the extra wiring at some point. If you have the plug in there you're in good shape.
You'll need to go to the Ford parts department and order the new cluster and the switch assy. You must have your vin# and current mileage so they can call the cluster center and order your new cluster. The cluster center will install your mileage into the new cluster before shipping it. The mileage will be a little off if you drive the car for the few days it takes to get the cluster shipped. You will then have to go to the dealer where they have to retrieve the information from your old cluster before it's removed using Ford's WDS computer. The new cluster takes just a few minutes to install, then the Ford tech will load the info into the new cluster. Don't attempt to install the new cluster before the tech retrieves the info out of it.
The my color 6 gauge clusters are specific to GT or V-6 cars. They are not interchangeable. The switch assy part # is 4R3Z*10D889*AAA It lists for about $47.62. The actual cluster will have a different part# depending on which car you own. The cluster will cost anywhere from $250-$350 depending on yor dealer's pricing. Save the old cluster because the cluster center will need it as a core return.
I did my changeover today and all went well.

HalfAcidic

Hoof Beats - Feel it.
I have the wiring harness benind the 3 non-working buttons. ALl i have to do is replace the switches and the gauge cluster? Thats great. I was assuming i needed to install sensors and all this new stuff for the message center and the two new gauges. guess not! Wheo hoo!

Shadow Burner

2007 4.6L GT
I have the wiring harness benind the 3 non-working buttons. ALl i have to do is replace the switches and the gauge cluster? Thats great. I was assuming i needed to install sensors and all this new stuff for the message center and the two new gauges. guess not! Wheo hoo!
Is the message center part of the "my color" thing or is it separate. The '06 GT I took for a test drive had all that stuff and as soon as I saw it for the first time I sortta assumed all the wiring and programing would be in there and the only thing needed would be the switches, the panel, and maybe a fuse or two. So when they tried to push that option on me I told them to forget it because I figured I could probably buy the parts and install it myself for cheaper then they were offereing it. But yeah, it seems like as long as the wire harnesses are there behind the dead switches it should be dead simple.

HalfAcidic

Hoof Beats - Feel it.
I looked back there today. Im sort-of worried because i do have the wiring harness but its only got 2 or 3 wires going to it. Is it possible that all 3 of the buttons work off three wires? And theres only one wire harness. Is this correct for the upgrade or am i ****ed? :(

kleistang

lol i dindt know i had this feature in my car until i readed this thread. it didnt say on the sticker. i was playing yesterday with the bottons on the dashboard and found out how to use it :lol: ty.